Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By AmyR
  • 1 Post By shaynapug
  • 1 Post By Tinker's mom
  • 2 Post By 6 Beautiful Pugs

Thread: 11month old Pug with bad tummy

MorganMolly is offline New to the Village

Default 11month old Pug with bad tummy

Please can someone help? I have an 11 month old pug who for the past 5/6 days has had a bad tummy. Most of the time when she goes, it comes out very runny and shapeless - she sleeps on my bed and one night she had to get down 3/4 times to go. Sometimes she'll be sleeping and suddenly wake up, rushing to go to the toilet. She is eating fine and has lots of energy, but it's obvious that she isn't well. I feed her scrambled eggs and pasta with meat mostly, and her worming is up to date. Also, when she breaks wind it smells very eggy. Has someone had similar experiences that can offer their advice? Thank you :)

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

Firstly here!

There are lots of knowledgeable people on here who I'm sure will offer advice :) Poor little girl!

Has she seen a vet? That would be my first thought, I'd make her an appointment at the Vets to get checked out.
    I would have a rethink on her food to be honest. If you feed her scrambled eggs........what goes in must come out! That will be why she smells of egg I think. Was this food suggested to you? Have you looked on dog food advisor.com to check out some dog foods?

Pugs have a tendency to have certain allergies and she may have a grain allergy. I really don't think giving her pasta is a good idea either.

I'd start with a vet appointment and ask for a faecal sample check. They will check her poo for bacteria like giardia to see if that's what is causing her poorly tummy.

I'm sorry, all that sounds quite negative in a way! I hope you don't take offence, I guess by coming here you are wanting advice and of course you want the best for your little girl!

I hope you find a solution for her, please get her checked out at a vet if you haven't already :)
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Good advice,...

She needs to be eating a balanced meal meant for dogs. Doesn't matter if you choose kibble or raw...but it has to be consistent and healthy.

It's been going on long enough. She does need to see a vet and have a stool sample taken.

Please let us know what the vet has to say!
    Penny's Mom likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

AmberB is offline Village Admiral

Hi and to Pug Viallage! I am sorry your fur-baby is sick. 5 or 6 days is pretty long for her to be having runny bowel movement. I would be very concerned about dehydration even if she's still eating. You should consider a trip to the vet in case she has coccidia, giardia or something similar. A single type of worming medication may not protect against all intestinal parasites.

Also consider putting her on a temporary bland diet until her tummy settles. The vet should guide you on that but generally in involves something like boiled chicken and plain rice.

To be sure you should also check your yard and house for anything she may be eating that she shouldn't. Houseplants for example can be toxic.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

edit: looks like everyone was writing at the same time! lol! Consistent advice though.....hope it helps.
    Last edited by AmberB; 10-04-2014 at 06:46 PM.

MorganMolly is offline New to the Village

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your advice. We were giving her dry dog food for a long time but one day she dedided she didn't like it anymore, which is why we started giving her scrambled egg, and meat with pasta, both of which we found recommended on other sites. We're going to starve her tomorrow and then start her on a bland diet of chicken and rice on Monday. We live in an apartment and don't have a garden, so there's nothing out there that she could have picked up. I just want her to be able to go normally again :(

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

Will you be able to get her to a vet soon? It's important she goes if at all possible. As someone said, it's too long for her to have runny poo and she's still young.
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! I agree the first thing to do is a vet visit. You've been given good advice about going to dogfoodadvisor. Buy the highest rated food you can afford. I wouldn't starve her but start her on boiled chicken breast and plain rice. Hope it's nothing serious. Please update us after your vet visit.
    Penny's Mom likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Russ is offline Village Royalty
    Northern Virginia-Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I would have the vet check but the meals should be changed to more protein and fiber. I also give Mz Tilly probiotics with her dinner and some powdered vitamins - just a bit extra. It sounds grand but she also just finished a little bit of cookie for dessert. She also gets fruit like mango, pear, plum.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Without some tests at the vet, you have no idea if you are dealing with a mild tummy upset or something life threatening. It is important to get a blood panel to see where her electrolytes, protein levels and liver/kidney values are, to see if she has elevated WBC's or an allergic shift. They will likely also want a fecal and urine sample, but the blood is the most important thing.

Take care,
    Lisa
    AmyR and Penny's Mom like this.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Normally I would say starve for a day and then start on the bland chicken and rice. However this has been going on long enough already and I agree with those who say you should get the vet to look her over. That said, the bland diet will only help.

Long term cut out the pasta. Dog's don't generally tolerate wheat well. Also cut out the eggs; most dogs are OK with eggs but they can disagree and the stinky farts suggest to me that she is one who doesn't do well on eggs. Once everything is cleared up and back to normal, if you want to give egg then you can try a very small portion and see if the farts return. They will return quickly if egg is the culprit. We transported a rescue pug to his new home a while back. I had been warned about egg but on the way hubby gave him a tiny piece of egg from a sandwich (unbenknownst to me). Boy did we suffer for the rest of the journey!

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread