puppy diarrhea
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: puppy diarrhea

sebsterlilo is offline Village Puppy

Default puppy diarrhea

Hi there.
    My question is more a concern. Before I go on please keep any rude comments or judgment to yourselves. I really just am trying to ease my mind and maybe get a few hours sleep. I have a litter of 6 pups. Mama was health checked as well as daddy, I have a breeding friend who I speak with all of the time. ( my girls breeder) and have been to the vet 3 times in last 9 days with all babies and several without for questions. Issue is my girl got diarrhea 5 days post whelp took to vet immediately and did a poop screen. Infection found so antibiotics. This was not a contagious infection it was upset in her good and bad bacteria. Since about 2 days ago pups have had diarrhea ... I think its antibiotics and vet asked me to give fortaflora to babies and continue giving to mom as well.
    Pups ate gaining still And seem fine other than diarrhea...but I dont sleep as I'm so worried.... Can someone ease my crazy mind or should I seek a different vet?? Mine has been so great for years!
    Thanks
    Worried pug mama

myboysRmylife is offline Village Admiral

and congrats on your litter =) I have no breeding experience, but Shaynapug (Diane) here is a breeder. Hopefully she'll be along soon to help with your questions. I do know prolonged diarrhea in such young pups is a huge concern. Prayers it stops soon! Best wishes to you.
    Last edited by myboysRmylife; 10-27-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typo

Thank you so much I really hope I get a response. Just called my vet again and she advised now to take mama off antibiotics as she didn't have enough bacteria to really need it. Was just precaution.
    Thinking until out of system I may bottle feed babies... Still a little worried about it tho.. Heard of so many babies asperating the milk :(

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is online now True Village Royalty

Pups are 2 wks old????

Sometimes it's the meds from mom...and sometimes it's the milk........You have to read up on colors of poop in pups as well as consistency. It's been a while for me. If they're gaining weight.....then the flora must be working.......If starting to lose or light poop could be that they are not digesting properly. I would google it.......and watch. Weigh at least once a day at the same time....

Good luck to you!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

AmberB is offline Village Admiral

I have no experience with this issue in young pups but I am sure others here do. Its quiet here tonight but by morning there should be more responses to your question. Young pups with vomiting or diarrhea can get dehydrated and sick very fast so I am glad you are keeping a close eye on them. I think you are smart to be asking lots of questions and persisting with the vet too.

Sending positive thoughts for healthy mommy and pups....
    CinnamonC likes this.

Thank you. Poop is light yellow. Vet didnt seem as worried as I was as pups are all still gaining half to a full ounce a day. They get first deworm on Friday which will be the 2 week mark.
    I purchased esbilac when lilo was expecting just in case and purchased goats milk today if things go bad. I might be paranoid lol but these Lil guys and mama rely on me and I can't possibly let them down!
    Thanks for response I'll hit the google machine some more :)
    AmberB and CinnamonC like this.

babyroni is offline Village Royalty

I Don't have any experience with this but I want to wish you well with the puppies and welcome you to the village.

G

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

I also have no experience, but would like to say hi and welcome :)

I hope your puppies are feeling better soon !

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Prayers mama and pups are well soon.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Thanks y'all. So I made recipe for pups formula and have been subbing mom off and giving them the bottle.. I'm so very careful and asked vet to show how as tube feeding... Yikes!
    As of now pups seem to be getting better:) mommy dog is allowing me to do this with strict supervision :)
    Thanks to all for the well wishes! Here's to praying for all 6 babies and mom a full happy recovery:)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast