choking puppy
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: choking puppy

Gemmas is offline New to the Village

Default choking puppy

Hi everyone

Looking for reassurance and advice. Our 10 week old pup has started choking all the time he never seems to get anything up and doesn't seem too bothered by it but it's horrible to witness. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks x

Jacqui is offline Village VP

Hello and welcome, though I'm sorry it's under such circumstances. Your pup's episodes must be terrifying. I can't really say what the cause is but pugs have many issues associated with breathing and it could be any one of those. Reverse sneezing is also a consideration - have you seen this? YouTube has many examples. I remember when Logie had his first reverse sneeze attack - we thought he was going to die but now realise it's relatively harmless and are more relaxed when it happens.

I hope you can determine the cause and it's nothing serious, then you'll be able to enjoy your pup without worrying all the time. There are many very experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum who will be able to help.

Keep us updated and we love pics here!
    Jacqui, mum to 3 human children and 3 furkids - Logie the pug, Luca the flat coat and Oskar the tabby cat

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

could he be coughing? Kennel cough is a bacterial infection that is very common in little dogs or kennel dogs, and is often mild, or easily treated with anti-biotics. A quick trip to the vet should clear this up. It very typically sounds like "cough, cough, gak" the last sound being like the dog is trying to spit up something, but it doesn't come.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

wasabimom is offline Village VP

Welcome....nothing new to add except when Wasabi came to us at 8 weeks a week in he developed a similar cough/reverse sneeze, it cleared up as quickly as it came. And recently (at nine months) he caught a head cold which had the most awful reverse sneezing episodes....vet put him on antibiotics, eyedrops and a antihistamine, that took a little longer to clear (about 10 days) but now is all better. I highly recommend a vet visit just to be on the safe side!

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Welcome to the Village!

For me...if there's concern like that...it's a trip to the vet! Especially with a young pup!!! It could be nothing or could be something he/she needs meds for' Have you talked with your breeder???

Please let us know what the vet has to say!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Yes I think it's Kennel cough I have YouTube both sneeze and Kennel Cough and it sounds just like the cough poor little love! I had not even considered that and I was going to mention it to the vet in a week's time when he goes back for his second injection but I think I will have to get him in sooner. Thanks so much I had not considered it could be that. You are all so helpful xxxx
    Rugbysmom likes this.

CinnamonC is offline Village Puppy

I don't know if its the same where you are but during Hekate's 2nd round of puppy shots they gave us the option to include the kennel cough vaccination .
    Mommy of Hekate, pugapoo extraordinare!

AmberB is offline Village Admiral

Glad you are getting it checked out. Its so hard to see our fur-babies sick. I just wanted to add that if your vet does decide that it is kennel cough ask if you can delay the vaccination until he is better. Pugs do best with tolerating vaccines when they are feeling well. The other thing I wanted to mention was that if he wears a neck collar you may want to switch to a body harness so there is no pressure on his throat. Collapsing trachea can sometimes occur with smaller breeds and the extra pressure of a collar can make it worse.

Good luck and keep us updated .....

Thanks Amber good advice. I have not put a collar on him and don't intend to as I heard it's not good for their breathing so will be using a harness once he is able to go for walks. I will also discuss delaying his second injection if he is still not better. This week I plan to keep him at home in the warm (he usually goes to my sister in laws but she has two dogs) and then see if we can get him some antibiotics. I did discuss having the Kennel Cough jab but it was something we were going to consider once all his jabs were done. Have no idea how he has got this maybe because the travelling each day to my sister in laws or partners work as he has not been round many dogs and certainly none with a cough! Thanks for advice everyone xxx
    shaynapug and AmberB like this.

Doug4Everything is offline Village Mayor

All good advice! When your pup is eating I would watch him too, mine was a total piggly and used to woof it down and twice he started choking. the first time he coughed the obstruction up himself, the second time however was more scary, he rolled onto his back and wet himself, it was like he was having a fit. He was frothing at the mouth and I had to pull the ham out of his throat! He then instantly returned to normal like nothing had happened!!! That was my fault cos I threw him an off cut and he gobbled it too quickly - always supervise and cut up treats small (which sounds like common sense but I forgot how small pugs are in comparison to our other bigger dog!)
    Even when my pup is far away, in my heart he'll always stay
     Doug & Dixie 

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast