Neutering - advice for vet / clinic in NYC
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Neutering - advice for vet / clinic in NYC

alexp is offline New to the Village

Default Neutering - advice for vet / clinic in NYC

Hi everyone!

I'm a PugVillage newbie -- and a New York newbie, that's why i'm posting this.

Having moved recently from Athens, Greece I've avoided having him neutered as per my vet's recommendations because of the potential complications that could come up during the anesthesia -- "computerized anesthesia" (I hope I'm using the correct term here) is not common practice in Greece and since pugs are extra sensitive because of their breath issues, my vet always recommended that I wait until I move to the US to have him fixed.

Now that I'm here I want to finally have him neutered for his own good (he's 5 years old). Problem is: I seriously freak out of the possibility of bad things happening during the procedure so I'm doing extensive research to find a clinic and a veterinarian that I can trust. I live in the East Village and I've been to the St Mark's Veterinary Hospital for check ups etc -- they're quite good but very expensive plus they don't have fantastic reputation, which worries me. I'm leaning towards the Lower East Side Animal Hospital or the Humaine Society but I'd really appreciate any tips about vets & clinics or things to ask for before the procedure.

Thanks so much!

wasabimom is offline Village VP

Animal Medical Center......Upper East Side. I personally know a vet there and I am a native NY'er...nothing beats their reputation. My question for you is what health benefit are you hoping to gain by neutering? In my research (and in my vet's opinion) there is only a benefit in NOT neutering.

alexp is offline New to the Village

Thanks, i'll check them out -- to be honest, the main reason why i want to do it is because mating is what he thinks about 24/7, he's desperately trying to find a dog to hump at. all. times. He doesn't hump pillows, teddy bears etc but he never plays with other dogs unless he wants to hump them. I understand he won't go back to puppy mode if I have him fixed but it's kind of sad to see him constantly trying to do what his body is telling him to = make puppies.

The other major reason is that since 99% of the dogs are neutered, a lot of them seriously freak out when go in the dog run and they smell him - they become aggressive, bark at him etc so I have to have him on leash. Not fun.

I'm curious about what you said though -- there is only a benefit in NOT neutering?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

wasabimom is offline Village VP

Oh boy....that sounds hard. I think if Wasabi showed those tendencies from doggie puberty my position would be different. We have no humping and he has a blast at the dog park. Occasionally a male neutered dog while on leash has an issue (not friendly), but I would say it is only half the time and I'm really not convinced it has anything to do with being intact. If you google neutering of small breed dogs, pros and cons, there are some really compelling studies linking the incidence of certain diseases with neutering.

You do know that the humping might not go away. Most of the time it has nothing to do with hormones and everything to do with behavior. Got my fingers crossed that for you guys it is hormones! Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread