Advice on flea products
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Advice on flea products

chloe&Ozzy is offline Village Puppy

Default Advice on flea products

Well that time of the year is coming again.. Oh fleas! Last year I had one of my pugs on Trifexix and he was out flea repellent but all the horror stories I read and he had a mild seizure (which my vet says there is no link to that product) we got him off of it.. I'm looking for something that works! Any advise?

Angel89411 is offline Village Admiral

We use comfortis. We can't do topical because i have children but my vet strongly recommends Comfortis or Advantage Multi.
    chloe&Ozzy likes this.
    Momma to a zoo. We have a total of 3 dogs, 1 service dog in training, 2 cats, and 2 human children. It's one crazy life.

The key to life is "family and friends. And a good pet. For pure loyalty there is nothing like a pug." - Robin Williams

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Fleas showed up here, too, for the 1st time in these dogs' lives! I got a Seresto flea collar for Lab Molly, K-9 Advantix II for Rugby, & Advantage for the cat. All are doing fine, but the cat's ears did twitch for awhile the night I put the topical on her, & it her skin twitched a little bit, too, so I will tell the vet that before I have to buy the next dose......The Seresto collar lasts 8 months so is fine for the Lab, but I didn't want to put a collar on Pug Rugby, & didn't want to put one on the cat either, since she would manage to kick it off & lose it the 1st day. All treatments were not cheap. The topicals I got are only good for a month, so over time, those add up also.
    chloe&Ozzy likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

We now use revolution, active ingredient selamectin, and I'm very, very pleased with it so far. We have used both frontline and advantix in the past. Find out from local dog owners what works in your area, fleas are variously immune to poisons.
    chloe&Ozzy likes this.

Has anybody used Nexgard? A flea pill from the makers of Heartgard

ODemPugz is offline Village VP

Never heard of it myself but mine have been on revolution since before I brought them home so I haven't gone looking. I've never had fleas...knock on wood...and they define on it. Expensive, if you get it from the vet...round 45 per application...works out to 180 for six months for each pug! Try 1800petmeds...good luck!
    chloe&Ozzy likes this.

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

I used Advantix multi so heart worm and fleas done for. The cat hates the stuff I put on her but she wanders out and brings back the fleas (on purpose to see the Pugs itch!) Vet suggested the heart worm shot I asked her if it had changed last time she said they don't administer to dogs over 10! That would be easier on the budget then I could just give them a flea pill.

I used the Nexguard was not happy with it seems we got fleas and tapeworms! So that didn't work for the fleas here!
    chloe&Ozzy likes this.
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

maryluvspugs is offline Village VP

My pugs had a terrible reaction to Frontline Trifexis (I think that's what it was called). It scared me so that I have not used a chemical flea preventitive since then. I have a spray that is all natural.and a powder. I sprinkle the powder in my hands away from their faces and wipe my hands along their backs, bellies, and legs. So far, no fleas.

The spray is the top item here: Dog Products | Veterinarian's Best: All-Natural Products for your pets' health.

Powder: FurRefresh Lavender 4oz – Holcombe Organics
    chloe&Ozzy likes this.
    Mary

Charlie Brown - 14, Olivia & Emmett the Pugs 3

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
    -Roger Caras

kardawg is offline Village Mayor

I used Seresto last year, it is a breakaway collar and Chico had no reactions at all. Once we started using it he had no ticks and he had at least ten a day and that's only walking on the sidewalk! (I on the other hand got bit twice by two infected ticks and have lyme disease) There are some side affects which I discussed with my vet (who I completely trust) and since he has bad reactions to the liquid I went with this. We have never had fleas here but it's supposed to work for both.
    chloe&Ozzy likes this.

Well we applied Vectra3d today.. That's what my vet recommends that's topical.. I've used it before and it burn my Chloe a little and 1 time it didn't.. Fingers crossed because I got to break the flea cycle then we will be okay

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast