Inherited a sweet old lady with righteous breath who is now drooling excessively -help!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By pugaddiction
  • 2 Post By puglover22
  • 2 Post By Tinker's mom
  • 2 Post By shaynapug

Thread: Inherited a sweet old lady with righteous breath who is now drooling excessively -help!

ashleymwp is offline New to the Village

Default Inherited a sweet old lady with righteous breath who is now drooling excessively -help!

Hi friends of pugs,

My husband and I recently inherited Pugsley, a 14 year old female, from a family member who is in the hospital. She will probably end up spending the rest of her days with us and our lazy old (young, 2 yr o) boxer. We are familiar with the short nose/bully breeds, but not on such a tiny scale. My questions are as follows:

1. I'm not positive how much care she has received prior to us taking her in, she was loved and treated very well, but I don't think there were very many vet check ups -no teeth cleanings. She smells absolutely awful, and we are almost positive the smell is coming from her mouth. My husband tried to look at her teeth, and he said from what he could tell they were rotten, or gone.

2. She has been with us for about 8 days, and as of yesterday, started drooling excessively. She almost always has a spot of bubbly drool on her lower lip, and her dog bed is soaked. The smell is getting worse, and worse.

She seems to be in decent spirits -but I haven't been around her enough to know what is normal. She likes to lay in the yard for hours at a time, then comes inside and wanders around and stands in one area of the house for a long time.

Like I said, my aunt is in the hospital and I don't want to burden her with anything involving Pugs, but I feel like we need to take her in to the vet for a checkup. My concern, is that once we get her there they will want to pull or clean all of her teeth. Considering the monetary burden, I don't think we'll be able to swing it, and I cant think about troubling my aunt with it right now, so I'm hoping there is some sort of all-natural, daily solution (like essential oils?) we can make up to help sooth whatever is ailing her, and also to help keep the stink at bay.. it. is. awful.

Please understand, we are pet-loving people who are trying to approach this situation with the well-being of the pet in mind, but also being considerate of our options, because forking out large amounts of money isn't one right now. Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Pug Auntie is offline Village Admiral

Thanks for helping this senior lady. She is probably a little confused at the change of homes given her age.

If you don't want to bother your aunt right now the only thing I can think of is calling some vets in her area and see if the old gal was ever a patient.

I'm thinking she probably has major rotted teeth at her age. Call your vet and ask them what they suggest because even if I had the money I'd be so afraid to put her under anesthesia at 14.

Good luck with her. Nice to read a family member stepped up to the plate and poor senior was not sent to a shelter.

Mom to Lucy is offline Village Admiral

Will she let you look in her mouth? Pugs can be as strong as an ox when they don't want their teeth messed with!
    I don't think I'd be comfortable with putting her under anesthesia, either...
    Maybe try a finger brush with canine toothpaste, or there are some water additives that are supposed to help with plaque.
    Christine Honorary Pug Parent. Wrangler of Bunny the crazy EP, mom to one human child, wife to a wonderful hubby, and entertained by a couple of fishies.
    Forever missing our Bugsy Francis - 04/13/05 - 05/24/17 and Lucy Loo - 10/13/2005 - 12/27/2020.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

Is it possible to at least have a vet look at her. She may have an abcess which you might be able to treat with antibiotics for the time being.
    CountryPug likes this.
    Pug Mom to Roxie
    Zoey (March 27, 2005 - February 23, 2015) and Eddie (October 2, 2010 - September 10, 2019) have moved on to the bridge

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

I would definitely get her to a vet. Dental care is important!
    shaynapug and CountryPug like this.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! Thanks for taking her in. Sounds like an abscess to me and she needs to see the vet right away. Besides being painful she could get septic. Prayers for her.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

shaynapug is online now True Village Royalty

drooling is mostly either teeth or stomach upset! I'd get her to the vet ASAP!

Seeing her doing well with you!

Thank you for taking her in!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread