My 8 y/o pug is senile??? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My 8 y/o pug is senile???

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Yes, it is possible to have dementia or CCd younger....just as there are humans in their 30's and 40's who have it....BUT it is rare so young. I would exhaust all of the physical possibilities first before resorting to that diagnosis. Low thyroid is way underdiagnosed in the breed. Fully 2/3 of the dogs here are low thyroid.

Living with oldies, I see CCD. In my experience most dogs stare off or have moments they seem to be listening to or seeing something we can't...that isn't CCD although it does happen more as they age. CCD is the dog that can no longer find their way in the house from the yard. The dog who reacts to a family member as if they are a stranger. The dog that gets restless and unable to settle at bedtime, the dog that paces or circles relentlessly. The dog that suddenly begins attacking their long time buddy.

My Cupcake is deep in CCD. She is also blind and deaf which makes it worse. She is 15, as is Kobe, who still has a clear mind.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Buddy'smom is offline Village Mayor

I am trying to find out what is going on, I brought in his Urine and will work from there. I never said he had it I just said it looks like he did. My guess is as good as anybody's ... especially since I live with him...
    6 Beautiful Pugs likes this.

Buddy'smom is offline Village Mayor

I got the results of the UI from the vet.

He is negative for infections etc. The tech agrees with me that CCD is a definite possibility and she also said age doesn't seem to be any indication any more.
    The vet will be back Wednesday more after that.

Another symptom surfaced last night. waking up and not being able to sleep. He is usually a rock and never even moves all night. Now I am exhausted..what we do for our fur-babies.. I guess we will going for a checkup... to narrow this down...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Living with oldies, I see CCD. In my experience most dogs stare off or have moments they seem to be listening to or seeing something we can't...that isn't CCD although it does happen more as they age. CCD is the dog that can no longer find their way in the house from the yard. The dog who reacts to a family member as if they are a stranger. The dog that gets restless and unable to settle at bedtime, the dog that paces or circles relentlessly. The dog that suddenly begins attacking their long time buddy.
    This describes Zakkie late in his life really well.

I hope you guys find what's going on

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12