• 3 Post By puglover22
  • 2 Post By pugg
  • 3 Post By Rugbysmom
  • 5 Post By Nina_W
  • 2 Post By ODemPugz

Thread: Should I get a pug? Help!

pugg is offline New to the Village

Unhappy Should I get a pug? Help!

Hello! I'm thirteen and have always loved the thought of owning a pug, but I have been doing research. I've seen so many people talking about how their pugs have seizures and have such trouble breathing and it makes me reconsider. I do have quite a lot of earned money (around $11000) and I think my parents would pitch in for medical treatments if I ever do get a pug, but my biggest problem is this:
    I live on a farm in mostly the middle of nowhere (without neighbors) and when I leave for school no one is home but my golden retriever and house cats for six hours. This worries me because what if the pug has a seizure or something bad happens when I'm not there and it dies while I'm at school?! My mom works at the school and my dad works pretty far away, so I don't think anyone could really check up on him. But I love pugs soooo much!! Should I wait until I have my license so I can drive home during lunch hour to check on him, risk it now, or just not get a pug? I'd hate to be responsible for a pug's demise...

Summers would be totally fine; we're always home and have air conditioning, but winters would be difficult to have a pug in the house 30 hours a week for 5-6 months a year sounds risky for a pug.. Please help a pug lover out!
    Last edited by pugg; 08-05-2015 at 07:27 AM.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

I don't think you should worry unduly about seizures, but leaving a pug pup alone for long periods of time is not a good idea.

Everyone in the family needs to be on board with the addition of a new pet so you do really need to discuss the matter with your parents. Also, remember that pugs generally live for at least 12 years. In that time you will leave school, possibly go to college, possibly move away to get a job. What will happen to the pug?

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

Welcome Pugg! I really like that you are doing your homework.......it's a lot to think about. Agree that everyone needs to be on board with it and puppies are a lot of work. What about adopting an older pug? Also it's good that you understand that pugs have some health issues that can become costly. You might want to look into getting insurance if you decide to get a pug. Bella asks some good questions, what about college, etc?
    One idea is having a dog walker come in during the day if you're comfortable with that. Keep thinking things thru and you will come up with the right answer!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki, ODemPugz and pugg like this.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

pugg is offline New to the Village

Hi! Thanks for the advice; I'm planning on having a serious talk with my parents tonight. Also, if I buy a pug it'll probably be a rescue Pug, and most likely an adult one (as I know Pug puppies are rather clingy and have more health issues than adults do and require lots of attention). I'll have to consider where the pug would go after I move out and such, though. Thanks, I'll be sure to look into that.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

In a few short years, you'll likely be driving, too, and interested in spending more time with your friends, so it's really good you are taking a good, hard look at this first....Unless your whole family is on board with adding a pet to the family that they would be willing to keep for the rest of its life, it might be better for you to wait until you're all grown up & ready to handle all the responsibility on your own. Pugs are awesome, but they do require a lot of attention.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

You know, have you considered adopting a senior pug? Lots of love in an older dog, and that would help with questions of what happens in 5 years time. It won't help with medical expenses, though, older dogs need much more vet care.

The least expensive part of getting a dog is getting a dog. Quality food is expensive, quality flea/tick/heartworm medication too, as is training. All of these are necessary, and will be expenses someone must bear. Dogs need daily attention, even when you're sick, even when you're tired. I don't mind, many dog owners don't mind, but too many dogs are neglected because the reality of every day, every single day, becomes too much. This is true of any kind of dog, though. Then there's the incidental expenses, vet care for example. Some dogs don't need more than their vaccines and a checkup, but that's exceedingly rare. My little pup has needed laser surgery for ingrown eyelashes, corrective surgery for a dislocated and broken hip, perpetual rehab for that hip and the resultant nerve damage, barium x-rays for a plum pip she ate, an EKG for an unexpected seizure, and she's not three yet. We're not atypical - not because pugs are typically sickly either. Mine is a healthy little dog, our sausage mix, also a healthy little dog recently got poisoned and needed dialysis... similar expenses. The big dog nearly murdered (and was nearly murdered by) a dog he used to live with... stitching him up and healing those wounds cost an arm and a leg, and then, with us, he cut his paw open which again needed vet care. All healthy dogs, living the doggy life. I can't begin to imagine what it's like to have a truly sickly dog to care for.

My puggy, that I bought as a puppy from a breeder, costs as much to keep as she cost to buy every two months, give or take. This is all things considered. A rescue costs much less to buy, but won't cost any less to keep. I dare say this is true of every single dog.

Are you going to bear this financial burden? And how? I'm not trying to be negative, where there's a will there's a way, certainly! It doesn't help being naive about this, though, because this is a life you're promising to care for. Not something to trifle with.

But, given your age and the many changes coming in your life, I'd say wait. Once you've gotten your own place, and are settled enough to be able to say "whatever happens, I'll be able to provide a home and care for this dog", time enough to get a pug :) Or two :P
    Last edited by Nina_W; 08-06-2015 at 03:26 AM.

ODemPugz is offline Village VP

Brings back memories. My daughter always wanted a pug...since she was a young teen. I always had larger dogs. She purchased a Pug in her early 20's...still not settled and in an apartment complex that didn't allow pets! So...enter her pug to my home at 9 weeks! She stayed with me until she was about a year...LOL! When my daughter announced that she was moving...across the country...I thought to myself...crap, no Pug! What now? I have two of my own and that's how it all started!
    Nina_W and pugg like this.

+ Reply to Thread