Limping - caused by nail trim??
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla

Thread: Limping - caused by nail trim??

EmmyandGus is offline New to the Village

Exclamation Limping - caused by nail trim??

Emmy went into the vet yesterday for anal sac expression, so I also got her nails trimmed. That was at about 10am. She came home, sat outside with us for a while, and seemed fine. Around 9pm I noticed her limping. It seemed almost as if she had stepped on something. I checked her foot and found nothing. She went potty once more that night and had stopped limping.

This morning is bad. She won't put any pressure on the foot. Pulls away when I touch the suspected too-short nail. But I can't find any debris or sign of injury to the foot/paw pad. Also, she's had a quick exposed before (a bleeder. Done by me) and did not limp like this. The vet tech said she was good so I don't think she struggled and pulled a muscle or anything.

It's Sunday and there isn't a vet in town open besides the emergency one. I'm taking her in tomorrow morning if she's still limping....

In the meantime, does anyone have any advice? I tried soaking the foot (to maybe disloge debris) and she wouldn't really cooperate. Also tried dipping the nail in styptic powder, didn't seem to help.

Thinking of wrapping it, for potty breaks.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I'd have her checked tomorrow......You can hold a warm rag on it. Also put some neosporine on it.

Might be a simple pulled muscle....but if there's any infection, you want that treated quickly!

See all being good!
    Last edited by shaynapug; 08-16-2015 at 10:53 AM.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

T'spugs is offline Village Royalty

I agree with Diane. A nail trimmed to short shouldn't cause limping for that long of a time. (Unless the pug is a diva)
    T, Mr. Wilson the Golden Retriver, Lola~Beth bulldog. Missing Yoda, Wickett and Blizken, MaeCee Jo Boxer, Mary~Kate, Mavis, Tallulah Belle and Archie Moe together at the Rainbow Bridge.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

AmberB is offline Village Admiral

I wonder if it might not have anything to do with the trim since she was ok for a while before she started limping. Could she have been stung by something when she was outside? My Ellie has been stung several times and limps afterward. Initially there's swelling but once it goes down its hard to see any sign of a sting.....

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I hope she is better soon. It's also possible that she struggled while getting her nails trimmed and yanked her leg away from the person's grasp, causing a bit of a sprain.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

puglover18 is offline Village VP

My sweet Milo when he was with us began limping one day, but it seemed sporadic, however, the very next day when he began limping again, we went to the vet. They did some blood work and told us he had contracted Lyme... I would take your Emmy to the vet as soon as you are able.
    Mommy to Milo ~ Apriil 1, 1997 - August 26, 2013 ~
    ~Always in our Hearts ~ Never Forgotten ~
    Mommy to Zuko born on November 9, 2013

+ Reply to Thread