• 2 Post By Nina_W
  • 2 Post By puglover22
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 4 Post By Snifter
  • 1 Post By sweetmillie

Thread: pug trauma to neck n paralasis

sweetmillie is offline New to the Village

Default pug trauma to neck n paralasis

Plz anyone been in this spot. I have a 7 year old pug. She got slammed by a bigger n she just layed there. She is so hyper always i knew something was wrong. At first i thought her back was broke, She never cried or screamed just laid on her side as if she was paralyzed. When you put her down she would go side step n fall. I immediately took her to emergency care which is hour away. Her back wasnt broke but trauma to neck they said. They didnt do a xray cause they said a xray wouldnt show that it be a mri she needed. When they brought her back to me she was walking really good with a limp, so they put her on pain meds and inflammatory meds. When i got her home she was back to falling sideways as drunk and not moving very good. I put her in a pack n play cause they said to keep her confined for 2 weeks. But if in 24 hours its worse take her back in. I cant get her to eat or drink and everyone knows pugs constantly eat. tried pb, meat , yogurt, anything n everything. No idea how im going to take her out for potty due to falling n going sideways. She was doing good at vet she walked to me just fine wagging her tail and now back to falling. Has anyone been thru this. Im petrified. The mri will be 2800 and surgery will be 4500 if needed and no idea what to do if that is needed. She cant get comfortable in her pack n play just wobbles around. They said may be nuerological also or FCE. Why cant they just diagnosed instead of guessing and waiting n see. Hoping pain meds and antiflammatory meds are whats making her wobble. Any been thru this plz let me know/ TY TY for an info

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

My Solo jumped at me from about 4 ft away...I saw him coming from my peripheral vision and couldn't turn fast enough to catch him. He bounced off me and then bounced on the carpet on the floor 3 times. I held my breath, but he got up and seemed fine. Then 2 days later, on a Tuesday....wasn't going down stairs...and came in from outside holding his neck funny. I ran him to ER. I'd forgotten about the jump. They put him on valium as I'd forgotten about the jump and they thought maybe a seizure! The valium also acted as a muscle relaxer. By morning, he couldn't stand up....his front and back legs just slid out to the side. I was braced for PDE! When I went to see him in the afternoon, the vet said it wasn't PDE, he had somehow injured his neck and upper back. Then I remembered the jump. Vet recommended 12-14 wks of crate rest. I left him there as he was on iv meds....and went to see him daily. No real improvement. I had a dog show that weekend and was gonna be staying in a motel. We decided it was best that he stay at the vet til Sunday. On Friday, I picked him up and took him to a vet/chiropractor who gently adjusted him and gave him acupuncture. Brought him back to the vet to stay. I called at least twice a day, but was fearful about being able to bring him home as when I left him, he couldn't stand! Well.....I called on Sunday....and was told that he missed me!!!! I went to pick him up and they took his leash back. I expected them to carry him out, but to my amazement....he walked out his perky self!! I ran to him, falling to my knees and crying!!!!! It was a long road.....no jumping for 2-4 months.....no long crating at any time as he needed to move....and many trips all over the state of Michigan twice a week at first.......as the chiro traveled!!! Solo had quite a few good years after that! Then arthritis set in....and he walked funny. Lost control of urine and poop...but never left my bed!!!!

They also do cold laser now...and that helps with deep tissue injuries!

Seeing your girl coming around!!!! An no more time with the bigger dog!
    Last edited by shaynapug; 08-25-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

They can diagnose only with an MRI, without that guessing is as good as they can do, I'm afraid.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your puggy. I hope with time and rest she heals up just fine.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and ODemPugz like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

I think you should try a chiropractor. I'm sorry to hear this, but I'm almost positive a chiropractor could help
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and ODemPugz like this.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I can imagine how scary this must be for you. I'm sorry to read your puggy was injured so badly. I have no advice to give, but I do hope that she will be able to make a full recovery.
    ODemPugz likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

With those symptoms I think you are going to have to go for the MRI. A chiropractor may help long term but unless the nature of the problem is known they could do more harm than good, imo.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

sweetmillie is offline New to the Village

TY for reply, I got her to eat some baby food with water. Then this morning she was perky with little wobbleness. Shes hungry again thank heavens. You can tell it effects her left side. her left front walks but every so often her paw goes under and her back leg is out more than normal. Unfortunately there is no chiros for pets or accupunture where I live. Justt loving her n keeping her in pack n play. Just happy she eating n walking better. If she gets through til friday n not slip back again to falling constantly Ill be more relieved. I just like to know exactly what happened n as she heals how much healed is she. She loves tug of war n after a few months is that off limits. Trust me no more seeing neighbors dogs. I have a shepherd n dobie n their always careful with her. My neighbors dogs are just too hyper and just go crazy without discipline and the one just plowed her over running to see my shepherd. But those days are done.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

ODemPugz is offline Village VP

Always hate this type of news. So sorry to hear about your baby. Is all OK now?

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Ask around...Is there a dog training school by you that does obedience, agility, or rally??? Many of those dogs see chiropractors! There are some human chiro's that are trained to work on animals too! I go to one! She does cold laser too! I feel real comfortable with her as one of my vets goes there also!

Continued positive thoughts for you and your girl!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread