Advice please - 16 week old pug puppy going bald on head?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Advice please - 16 week old pug puppy going bald on head?

thevaleh is offline New to the Village

Question Advice please - 16 week old pug puppy going bald on head?

Hi everyone,
    Hoping for some advice please? Our black male pug puppy Dexter (16 weeks) seems to have thinning hair on his head? he has always had thin -ish hair there but it seems to be becoming more noticable lately as he gets more wrinkles there. Its not in patches like what i have seen when ive googled mange but more just thin all over making his wrinkles more prominent. Has anyone seen anything like this before? We thought it could just be that he is growing and as his skin is white underneath it looks thin whilst his hair is still trying to catch up or something?! I dont know! Help much appreciated!

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! So sorry to hear your puppy is having problems. I'd request a skin scraping from your vet. Glad to have you here!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Thank you Tinkersmom for the advice. We will take him to check it out. Here is a picture of Dexter the other day so you can see better what it looks like.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

SiriusPug is offline Village Admiral

I agree with Tinker. Si usually will show no signs of an ear infection until his ear starts losing hair, he's really good at hiding and scratching. He did have a skin infection once, when we first got him, that caused him to lose hair on his back.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Take him to the vet and get a skin scraping. Could be demodex mange.......easy to fix! If ear...will get the right meds!

Please let us know how he's doing!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Yes I agree it's worth checking for demodex with a skin scraping since it's started on the head, not all puppies get the pustular form with infected spots coming up as my own puppy did.

Let us know how you get on :)

Thanks all for your help :) Dexter is booked in to see the vet later today. Will let you know how he gets on. Get so worried about my little man!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Hi all, so Dexter went to the vet yesterday evening, the vet is 99% sure it is Dermodex Mange but couldnt get a skin scraping as Dexter was too wiggly and would not stay still or be held for the vet to do the scraping on his head! So for the moment he has given us some surgical wash to bathe his head and is increasing his Advocate from monthly to weekly which should help. We are going back on Tuesday to see if he can get a scraping. he said he shouldnt need the dippings as its a mild case but may need antibiotics instead, however he did also say that in 90% of pups it should clear up on its own. So we are keeping an eye on him until Tuesday, fingers crossed it wont get any worse! Poor baby!
    Nina_W likes this.

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Hi

Good news that you know what it is! I guess I must have been really lucky with Xanthe who had skin scrapings done on her head the first time and the top of a back leg the second time as she just snuggled into me and totally ignored what the vet was doing.

With my puppy Advocate didn't work at all - my vet upped it to fortnightly as well, and she ended up in a horrendous mess with lesions and crusting all over her face and head, whereupon the vet insisted on having her in to do an Aludex bath. Xanthe had awful side effects from this, so I refused to let them continue the treatment and gave the vet a copy of the research paper I'd found online that concluded a 100% success rate for elimination of demodex using a flea and tick product called Bravecto. This could visibly be seen to be working within just one week of giving it to her too, and now she's totally beautiful again with all her fur grown back!

Hope you get a good result too :)

MamaR is offline Village Mayor

Glad that you were able to get him in! I hope that he is already doing better!! We used to have a Dane, and he had Demodex early on in his life - cleared right up with topical medication, and he never had it again. :)

Ari Gold (10/7/13) & Eleanore (8/3/15)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast