Big pug
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Big pug

jlhicks is offline New to the Village

Default Big pug

My pug puppy, is almost 7 months and weighs around 18lbs. I was wondering if this was normal. She seems chunky to me, but she is a pug. She loves to eat, I was wondering if I'm over feeding her? Thanks

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Would be easier to tell with a picture, but that is not outside of the possible normal sizes for a puggy at 7 months.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Probably, but with puppies it's harder to judge.
    You should be able to see a defined waist when viewing from above or in profile and you should be able to feel but not see her ribs. Controlling a Pugs weight is one of the most important things you can do to ensure they have a long and healthy life. You CANNOT let a Pug eat until sated, many will burst before stopping eating. What do you feed and how much daily?
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

sylven is offline None

just go off the recommended feeding guide off the tin /bag/website? how can you go wrong ? i asked on here about mine as i thought it was wrong, just followed the guides & shes great !!

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by sylven View Post
    just go off the recommended feeding guide off the tin /bag/website? how can you go wrong ? i asked on here about mine as i thought it was wrong, just followed the guides & shes great !!
    actually not true......use LESS than the recommended amount.....pet food companies are in business to sell more food, not keep our dogs slim

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

Bugoneal is offline Village Featherpug

Did you know we love pics!! It would be so much easier to tell with a pic or two - maybe even three!! Our first puggie girl Bug was a big girl and weighed in the 24 pound area. She did not have an ounce of fat - she was just a big pug. So there are those that are tiny and those that are bigger. Chris gave you some great advise on how to tell if she's getting chunky.
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Vizsla Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart pugs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug

lihuesue is offline Village Senator

Yes, pictures would be nice. It all depends on the puggie... My Charlie Bear and Henry Lee both topped the scales between 30-35 lbs. Both big Pugs... My Suli and Cassie in the range of 18-20 lbs. Smaller female puggies... My Murphy is about 28 lbs., he's solid and he seems to be a bit longer in his body too. Murphy is my black pug and he's got a huge head, probably from all of the trauma he had in his previous life.

My Henry Lee had a growth spurt at two years old, just after we got him. He was a skinny lil thing, with no neck or chest. After eating good food on a regular basis and running with my rat terrier, his chest got huge and so did his neck. He's a real pug boy now! All of the boys are really strong too... lots of muscle on them.

jlhicks is offline New to the Village

Thanks for the advice. I feed her 1 cup Fromm puppy good twice a day. She gets occasional snacks. I work during the day, so she's not very active then. But when I get home she's very active for about 3 hours. I can't seem to post a pic with my iPad.
    Jen

MamaR is offline Village Mayor

I think it sounds well within the normal range, but like others have said, it would be easier to judge with pictures. :)

Ari Gold (10/7/13) & Eleanore (8/3/15)

ODemPugz is offline Village VP

...you and your vet will be able to determine this best. Word of advice...it's easier to get them to gain weight than lose it so early intervention/attention to weight issues is best. I echo the pic request though as well as the iPad issue. I have the same issue from home so the only pictures I tend to post are from work! Shhhhh...don't tell anyone...doh!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast