pnemonia again
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: pnemonia again

elliesmum is offline Village Puppy

Default pnemonia again

My almost 12 year old pug has pneumonia again—she has had it every winter almost for the last several years. This time it is in two lung lobes (was in one last week, has moved to a second). She is on two kinds of antibiotic, Batril and something-mox, can’t recall the name. She is also on a puffer, little bugger holds her breath though when you try to give it to her.
    She has a bad case of it last new year’s eve—yup emergency trip to the vet, happy new year. But as usual recovered fairly quickly after being pumped full of antibiotics.

She is mostly bind, bad knees, collapsing trachea, allergic to most food, has had bladder stones 2 times in the last year, had elongated soft palate surgery in 2010. Has been on low lose prednisone since that time too. She also has lost her bark for the most part and likely has laryngeal paralysis.

It surprized me that she had 2 lobes involved, I thought she seemed better this week and was coughing less. She has energy, good appetite, is perky, trying to bark and howl at things that offend her (like a dog video on youtube).

The vet was talking about wanting to go through her throat to drain fluid and says we need to pat her sides to help break up the mucus and she can cough the yuk out. She sounds rattily

I know I saw a great post on here about this kind of thing but I can’t find it now—can someone point it out? it was all about the different meds etc for lung/heart issues and was talking about getting an oxygen machine for emergencies.

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

I'm so sorry your girl has pneumonia again. I'll be praying for her recovery. The post you are looking for is probably one by Lisa (6 Beautiful Pugs). Maybe you can do a search of her threads or posts. She will probably be along to help you as well.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

ODemPugz is offline Village VP

I have nothing to add but best wishes that all goes well. Someone more knowledgable will chime in shortly. Be well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Lisa will know what to do.......

I have an oxygen concentrator. It's old..and hasn't been used in years...but it's here....I got it on ebay.

Hope your girl improves!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Prayers for her to improve and get well.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Thanks for the info, I found the thread I was looking for. I am going to ask the vet tomorrow about Lasix. It sounds like it could be helpful for her. her lungs are pretty congested.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

We rescued a pug in March and a week later she ended up with pneumonia. It was very heart wrenching listening to her coughing. We had her on antibiotics for 5 weeks. She has never completely gotten rid of her cough so I am always concerned. She too had palate surgery.
    I hope she gets well soon.
    Pug Mom to Roxie
    Zoey (March 27, 2005 - February 23, 2015) and Eddie (October 2, 2010 - September 10, 2019) have moved on to the bridge

The update. I was not the one to speak to the vet yesterday but we now have more meds, she is on a bronchodilator and he told us to buy a nebulizer. So now she is having a treatment 3-4 times a day with the nebulizer and the bronchodilator 2x a day. She seems a bit better today, she slept better and was hungry for breakfast—she has never lost her appetite (typical pug) in all this. The vet did more bloodwork the other day so we should get that back today or tomorrow.

What a drag it is getting old…. Too bad we can’t afford groceries for the humans now.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Continued prayers for her recovery.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Prayers and positithoughts coming for your baby. We got an oxygen concentrator for our senior Pug Ray for the last couple of ywears of his life. I was able to find one on Craigs List for a couple of hundred dollars. It helped immensely when he had breathing issues.
    I remember the post, it was Lisa. I'd have absolutely no qualms about taking her advice on ANY issue with a senior Pug. If she was responding to a post of yours, it may be easier to do a search of your posts rather than hers. Good luck.
    shaynapug likes this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast