congested pug - is there a nasal spray/drops safe for dogs?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: congested pug - is there a nasal spray/drops safe for dogs?

hawksnhorses is offline New to the Village

Default congested pug - is there a nasal spray/drops safe for dogs?

The air is very hot dry here, and since we haven't had any rain since July, there is dust and dirt in the air. Its miserable out. Indoors we have the AC on so the air is also dry. My eyes are dry and burning and both my pug and I get eye drops to keep our eyes lubricated. Bert (my pug) and I both take Zyrtec. I'm using a saline nasal spray because when I go to feed horses, the dusty ground kicked up by the horses makes my nose and sinuses burn. While Bert never goes to the barn, he has a clear discharge - runny nose, and sneezes more often than usual and also sounds congested. Can I spray the saline nasal spray in his nose or will that likely create a moist environment for bacteria or fungi? Both my vets have little experience with pugs and other smushed-faced dogs? Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I'd hate to say anything and have him be sick! I'd be ruling that out first! He's already on an allergy pill. I would not do anything in the nose. I did the kennel cough intranasal once .....and my pug got pneumonia from it!!! Learned never to do it again!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! I'd definitely be running room humidifiers in the rooms where you are the most. Do you have any pug rescues near you where you can find a vet that is familiar with pugs? You can also steam up your bathroom with the door closed and put him in there if he's having trouble breathing. Let us know what you find out and please stay with us. Others on here will chime in with more suggestions. Glad to have you both here.
    shaynapug and Rugbysmom like this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

beenpugged is offline Village Mayor

If you are using zyrtec anyway you would consider flonase as nasal spray for you and your pugs. (I use them for my allergies) my pug doesn't need any.
    So the best thing to do is visit the nearest vet to check if the pugs needs allergies medication or not.

My vet put him on Zyrtec due to all the pollen this past spring. He doesn't have a temp, and the nasal discharge is clear. Its supposed to rain by the end of next week so unless his condition changes or worsens in the next 9 days, I'll see if if the rain will clear up all our sinuses.

Humidifiers and air conditioners cancel out each other, and I know Bert would prefer cool dry air than 90+ degrees with no AC. I did take a long shower this morning and tried to steam up the room with Bert in there but never got a bit of steam on the mirror.

Thanks everyone for your input. This is my second pug and Bert is now 1 year and 2 months old. My first pug is now living in my heart, I had to put him down when he was 14 1/2 years old, a year ago June. I'm crying now as I think of him, he was the treasure of my life. After losing Bubby, I'm afraid I'm overprotective of Bert.

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Hello and to PugVillage. Glad you and Bert have joined us. No advice to offer but hope you both get some relief from your allergies.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

If you have a look on amazon under facial steamer, one of these might help since there's no face mask - you and puggy can share it just by sitting together in front of it!

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

We have run our air conditioner with the humidifier going--there are different kinds of humidifiers, too.....there are warm or cool mist humidifiers......We have a Holmes cool mist ultrasonic one.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

We bought a humidistat, also, so we can tell when the air is getting too dry in here....it's just a little gauge that we bought at Wal Mart for less than $3.....
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Thanks, I'll check to see what kind of humidifier we have and also check out facial steamers (living in the middle of nowhere - Amazon is my favorite place to shop). The National Weather Service says we are having record high temps today for October and also record low relative humidity - 18 percent! They've dropped the rain chances for next week.

You all are so wonderful and helpful, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast