Anal glands, 12 Week old puppy
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anal glands, 12 Week old puppy

Jazzyd18 is offline New to the Village

Default Anal glands, 12 Week old puppy

I have a 12 week old puppy and he's my first pug, this afternoon we went out visiting relatives with him, he was sat on my mums knee in the car and when we got out she noticed a mark on her clothes... then she noticed the smell!!! It was a disgusting strong fishy smell, we had no idea what it was until I researched and realised it was a leak from his anal glands, my question is is this normal for such a young puppy? Is it unhealthy?

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Hi

I expect the puppy just got nervous in the car and as a result of that released some anal gland fluid. Generally if the anal glands are full and need emptying the dog will either scoot their bottoms along the ground, or constantly spin around trying to get at the base of their tails. You could ask your vet to check them next time you visit.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I just had to have Izzy's done!!!! I've had young ones that I've done myself. It might be wise to have the vet check if he spins, scoots, bites his feet or after his tail. If not, he might have emptied himself and be fine now!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

ODemPugz is offline Village VP

Yup, that's got to be one of the top disgusting odours! My girls get theirs checked/emptied regularly at the vet...generally whenever we visit or are having the nails done. Keeps the nasties from occurring at the most in-opportune times! LOL!

Rossy is offline Village Mayor

We also have this! Samoo needs expressing at least once a month, and he is fit and healthy and his stools are firm. I think it is just one of the 'charms' of Pug Life. However. I agree, the smell is rather foul!

Follow Samoo on Instagram for a chuckle: SAMOO_PUG

+ Reply to Thread