General Anesthetic
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LilyFayre

Thread: General Anesthetic

Martypug is offline New to the Village

Default General Anesthetic

We have taken our girl to the vets today. We have only had her a few weeks as we rescued her she is 5 . She has already been treated for gum disease since we had her. She has been back to the vets tonight and she got to go in Thursday for the day to go under general Anaesthetic to have the tartar build up removed and possibly some teeth ( not that she's got many left) has anyone else had their pug go for the same procedure. I'm so worried about her being put under but she is in agony with it so needs to be done. We have also been told she has cataracts and will eventually go blind  I just feel for the poor little girl so much. if anyone knows about this would appreciate some advice thank you 

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Hi!

I'd suggest having a chat to your vet to put your mind at rest before the dental surgery. Hopefully you've got a vet who is experienced in working with flat faced dogs so they will know that for a pug only half dosage of ACP is given prior to anaesthetic, Isoflurane gas is used, and not to remove the breathing tube until the pug is fully conscious. They may well also give you the option to have pre-operative blood tests to check her general health which since you don't know her full history personally I'd have done.

As you may have gathered I gave my vet a hard time about the anaesthetic before going ahead with mine being spayed. My vet was very understanding and patient with me until I was fully happy with all my questions and worries sorted. Oh and my puppy was absolutely fine, no problems at all.

I'm sure that others on here will also give you a few helpful tips too!

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new girl! :)
    shaynapug likes this.

ODemPugz is offline Village VP

Every or any time a Pug is "under" is potentially dangerous. We all must weigh pros and cons. Abcess teeth can affect the circulatory system...ergo system wide infection. To wit: I'd rather have a gummer. One of mine is destined to become one because she's just not a lover of "chewing". She's had 7 teeth removed. Long conversations need to happen. Too hard to post what I've garnered, without being timed out. Seeing all go well in your case.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Penny's Mom is offline Village Mayor

When we rescued Penny when she was 18mths she had to have dental work done. Make sure you ask how often the put short muzzle dogs under. What is the process for recovery as well. I'm sure more people will give you all the questions to ask. The group here is great at helping all the newbies and everyone with any questions.

Seeing little puglet going through fine.

Penelope Willow Mummy

+ Reply to Thread