My Pug is suddenly panting in the car.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AmberB

Thread: My Pug is suddenly panting in the car.

jfree417 is offline Village Puppy

Default My Pug is suddenly panting in the car.

Hello everyone! I have a 2 year old Pug that has suddenly started panting excessively in the car. This is a new thing, she had been a wonderful traveler up until a couple of months ago. She rides in the back seat in a raised car seat, and loved it when we first got it. She rode happy and quiet everywhere, just looking out the window or napping. Even on a 12 hour trip. About 2 months ago, with no warning she started to just sit or stand and look out the window and just pant. She displays no other anxiety other than the panting. She doesn't relax and go to sleep much either. Nothing happened to traumatize her in the car, she just started doing it out of the blue. I tried Rescue Remedy, before our ride, and it didn't have any effect. Any ideas or suggestions on what to do. We spend a good amount of time in the car.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Has anything changed???

Has she gained weight??
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

AmberB is offline Village Admiral

Carsick maybe? The raised car seat might be giving her too good of a view...messing with her balance centre? My old dogs used to pant in the car when they got carsick.
    scooterpug77 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    Has anything changed???

Has she gained weight??
    Nothing has changed that I know of. She gained a couple of pounds in the last 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberB View Post
    Carsick maybe? The raised car seat might be giving her too good of a view...messing with her balance centre? My old dogs used to pant in the car when they got carsick.
    Did they vomit? She seems happy, just panting non stop. Before she would just look out, or curl up and sleep

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Has the car been cleaned? Had a new air freshener?

Might it have started after a particularly stimulating trip such as going to see family where she had a really great time?

Does it start as soon as she goes into the car?

Have you tried giving her a chew or Kong to see if it makes a difference?

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

scooterpug77 is offline Village Mayor

this is a long shot, but several of my pugs will pant if we don't have the heat/AC set to fresh outside air as opposed to recirculating inside air.
    Perhaps you have changed the settings due to weather? sorry that is all I've got.
    Mum to 11 current pug rescues: Bonkers, Sarah, Winston, Papa, Mugzee, Louie, Callie, Brutus, Teeto Lindy & Walter
    RIP beloved pugs Faith, Samson, Bella, Casper, Carl, Odette, Emmitt, Toby, Scooter & Peanut

Quote Originally Posted by Snifter View Post
    Has the car been cleaned? Had a new air freshener?

Might it have started after a particularly stimulating trip such as going to see family where she had a really great time?

Does it start as soon as she goes into the car?

Have you tried giving her a chew or Kong to see if it makes a difference?

No new air freshener. It started soon after a trip to the groomers for a nail trim, but she has gone for a nail trim/vet visit before, and it didn't seem to bother her on the next trip. She does start almost immediately after leaving the garage. I have not tried a chew, I have a feeling she will ignore it, but I will try.

West Coast Pugs is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by jfree417 View Post
    No new air freshener. It started soon after a trip to the groomers for a nail trim, but she has gone for a nail trim/vet visit before, and it didn't seem to bother her on the next trip. She does start almost immediately after leaving the garage. I have not tried a chew, I have a feeling she will ignore it, but I will try.
    Might be the change in weather/season creating higher/lower static electricity. I had a german shepherd that would start drooling and panting as soon as she started on a car ride. Sometimes if the ride was long enough, she would vomit as well. Needless to say, she didn't go into the car much unless it was necessary. I was told that it could be due to static electricity making her feel nauseated. I always wondered what those dangly flap things were that you see on RV's sometimes and was told that it was to reduce static electricity. Don't know how much there is to this, but could be a thought.

+ Reply to Thread