• 1 Post By scooterpug77
  • 3 Post By myboysRmylife
  • 2 Post By Tinker's mom
  • 3 Post By PugsBunny
  • 1 Post By shaynapug

Thread: Max has "Walking Pneumonia"

PugsBunny is offline New to the Village

Default Max has "Walking Pneumonia"

Hello everyone! Not too long ago I posted asking about a bizarre occurrence about Max's tail. Today, I'm just here to vent and ask for advice after visiting the vet! More so, how to ease the symptoms of the diagnosis. So about 5 AM, I was finally nodding off to sleep and Max jumps out of bed sneezing, gagging as though he were trying to cough up something, and had a bunch of snot coming out of his nose. He had also pooped on my floor, but I know that was more than likely due to his anxiety about what was bothering him. I didn't even care that he had pottied in the house because I was so concerned with him. I sat with him and calmed him down and his breathing got better, but he was still having a lot of congestion and a hard time breathing out of his nose. Now, the issue with me is I ALWAYS think the worst and think that my dog is going to die on me. ALWAYS checking on him when he's sleeping, I treat him like I treat my children. :) I suppose this time, my anxiety was a good thing because I took him into the vet and he asked me a few questions about if Max had been around other dogs, which he hasn't. He's the only puppy in the home! Asked if we leave him outside, again no. We only take him outside when we go on walks. He did give Max two shots and said things should start to clear up within a few days and also that he still has an ear infection. Poor thing. :( And has prescribed antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. And it happened just this morning, because all day yesterday and last night he was fine. He just said that Max was VERY congested. I had been crying all morning and I'm sure I'll start doing it again. I hate seeing him suffer. Have any of you had this issue or something similar with your pugs and have any insight of how I might relieve his congestion along with his medications? Also, if you have a stubborn pug who knows when he's given medicine and refuses, how do you deal with it? Max knows and will eat around the pill(s). He's smart. Haha. Thank you for reading and any insight on this issue would be great!

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

When I have to give meds I do the one, two, three approach. Wrap med is something yummy and make 2 more yummy treats plain. Give the first plain treat followed by the med-filled treat then immediately give the third plain treat. I use canned deviled ham, cheese, peanut butter (be sure it has NO xylitol which is poisonous to dogs), etc. Hope this helps.
    CSollers and PugsBunny like this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

scooterpug77 is offline Village Mayor

Is Max eating alright, does he choke or cough while eating or right after? I am not sure on the term walking pneumonia, but will google it and find out what I come up with. Does he have an elevated temp? Weird that it came on that quick
    PugsBunny likes this.
    Mum to 11 current pug rescues: Bonkers, Sarah, Winston, Papa, Mugzee, Louie, Callie, Brutus, Teeto Lindy & Walter
    RIP beloved pugs Faith, Samson, Bella, Casper, Carl, Odette, Emmitt, Toby, Scooter & Peanut

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

myboysRmylife is offline Village Admiral

In my very unprofessional opinion, it sounds like aspiration pneumonia. My Bruno did the exact same thing while we were sleeping. Off the bed to vomit foamy white mucous, then instant distress. Bubbles out the nose & horrible breathing.

Went straight to the emergency vet where he was kept overnight in an oxygen environment and given meds. Brought him home late the next day on meds, with instructions to give steam treatments (sit with him in a closed bathroom with a hot shower running) and clap him on the ribs after to loosen the gunk. He recovered nicely, but it was the scariest thing at the time; to be fine one moment and so sick the next.

If you're at all concerned with his breathing, or if his gums are pale and not a nice healthy pink, head back to the vet. Best wishes to you & Max!

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Prayers Max recovers soon. I sometimes use Liverwurst for pills because it masks their smell. The steam in the bathroom is a really good tip. At the first signs of any other breathing distress get him to the vet ASAP.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and PugsBunny like this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

PugsBunny is offline New to the Village

He just said that's what he would call it. Sounds silly to call it Walking Pneumonia haha. But he's been taking his meds just fine! He didn't have a temperature either, they said it was low. So that scared me too. But he seems to be doing fine. Still eating and drinking as usual. And yeah, it just happened so very suddenly. He was fine all that day and then at 5 AM just hit him hard. Little guy is doing great now! :)

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

glad to hear he's doing well :)

Low temperatures are better than high ones!

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Stormy had a BAD case of pneumonia....and I only brought her in cuz I thought a slight upper respiratory! These guys are amazing!!! She's fine! That happened well over 2 yrs ago. She's had a litter...is spayed....no problems!!!

Charlie is on meds!!!! She chews everything she eats...so I have to shove them down her throat twice a day! She still spits it out sometimes...and I do it again!! I give baby food after she gets it down!

Seeing your Max feeling fine!!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread