Did Emma get winded and is this normal?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Shannon C
  • 2 Post By shaynapug
  • 2 Post By scooterpug77

Thread: Did Emma get winded and is this normal?

Shannon C is offline Village VP

Default Did Emma get winded and is this normal?

My first pug Gypsy would do this thing when she got overly excited where if I went on vacation and came back she would get so excited and heel over and get still eyes open for a few seconds. Scariest thing! Last night Emma (9 years) was playing with Lyla and all of a sudden she heeled over on her side stiff as a board for what seemed to be 15 seconds. After she was panting and just seemed nervous. Today she is totally fine. Is this common with pugs??

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

oh my goodness, that must have been scary to see! Has Emma had breathing issues before? Does she snore loudly or seem short of breath regularly? I've read stories here on PV of pugs with fainting episodes, but I wouldn't say that it's a "common" issue with pugs. At least, it doesn't seem all that common from what I've read or heard. I hope it wasn't some sort of seizure. Sounds more like a lack of air or breathing issue though.
    Sending best wishes for Emma and I hope it was a one-time thing!
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Praying this was just a one-time occurrence and that Emma will be fine.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

It's seemed as though it was a short of breath thing not a seizure. Almost like as an adult and you faint for a second due to lack of air. Just so scary to me. I just panicked as my Gypsy's life was too short losing her at 7 years old. But Emma seems completely normal today! Thanks for responding!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

My Nikki fainted for a bit...but went limp! Like she died!! I shook her and she came around. Stiff would bother me a bit. I'd watch her....and if she does it again...get her to the vet. Or...I'd call the vet on Monday and see if they might want to do some blood work to make sure all seems okay.

Seeing it never happening again!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

scooterpug77 is offline Village Mayor

With breathing issues, collapsed trachea or elongated soft palate (ESP) they can actually experience severe shortness of breath leading up to and including passing out....particularly happens when they are excited. Peanut did it regularly (collapsed trachea) when I trimmed her nails, she would get so mad, turn blue and over she would go, only for a few seconds, but it is scary.
    Some older pugs will do this with mild heart problems, (CHF) congestive heart failure. One of my current pugs, Papa "fainted" at meals times when he was so hyped up over food. The first few days after we rescued him, he did it 3 times. Vet dx CHF and put him on vetmedin, and he has not done it again since...2 1/2 yrs now. He is 13.
    Mum to 11 current pug rescues: Bonkers, Sarah, Winston, Papa, Mugzee, Louie, Callie, Brutus, Teeto Lindy & Walter
    RIP beloved pugs Faith, Samson, Bella, Casper, Carl, Odette, Emmitt, Toby, Scooter & Peanut

Yes it happened as she was excitedly playing with Lyla. First time she ever did it. She didn't turn blue it was like she lost all muscle control and she lied on her side. My husband did blow gently in her face while patting her and that's when she started coming around. So scary

Tygermoth is offline Village Senator

Barry has done this once - reverse sneezing. He got a huge run of sneezes on the go and couldn't seem to catch his breath. I dashed to him but he fainted - totally rigid and rolled over with all four legs in the air.

The faint broke the cycle and in seconds he was up and about not a care in the world. I on the other hand was a nervous wreck. Now when he sneezes (like he did this morning) i am all over him like a rash!
    Samantha and Lord Barrington Smythe (Barry the Pug)

Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally... :D

+ Reply to Thread