I'm afraid Pugsley has serious eye trouble.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By puggy123
  • 4 Post By puggy123
  • 4 Post By puggy123
  • 4 Post By scooterpug77
  • 1 Post By puggy123
  • 3 Post By SiennasMommy
  • 1 Post By puggy123

Thread: I'm afraid Pugsley has serious eye trouble.

puggy123 is offline Village Puppy

Default I'm afraid Pugsley has serious eye trouble.

Pugsley, my 12 year old pug, adopted at age 8 after his owner died, has suddenly developed what seems to be serious eye illness. He has been seeing an ophthalmologist, Dr. Steven Gross, as had all my pugs for glaucoma checks and cyclosporin. I also administer neopolydex drops to stall eye cloudiness and Optixcare gel for moisture. I stopped using the cyclosporin eye drops because his tear production was adequate and I hadn't seen our eye Dr who I think is wonderful since my local vet was treating Pugsley (and now Jimmy). Pugsley's right eye all of a sudden is showing an enlarged pupil and a blue color. I'm pretty sure I know what this means. Vet appointment tomorrow and appointment with Dr Gross on Sunday, May 8, unless it's urgent. This is coming at the same time as Jimmy's upcoming dental surgery and my heart is breaking. Pugsley is a dog that makes everything worthwhile. I will do anything to help him even if it means maxing out my credit cards.
    Last edited by puggy123; 04-22-2016 at 09:58 PM.
    puglover22 likes this.

Pugsley right, Jimmy left.

Pugsley with sorely missed and forever loved, Andy (2006-2015)
    Last edited by puggy123; 04-23-2016 at 02:35 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Pug Auntie is offline Village Admiral

I have 2 seniors and both have cataracts. Maybe that is what you are seeing in Pugsley's eye.

scooterpug77 is offline Village Mayor

This could just be nuclear sclerosis. that would not significantly affect his vision going forward. It is hard to tell the difference between this and cataracts, but your vet will be able to easily. the sclerosis is actually more common in older pugs than cataracts, and no real treatment necessary.
    Most of my diabetic pugs have some degree of cataracts, and I cannot tell the difference to the one with nuclear sclerosis.
    Mum to 11 current pug rescues: Bonkers, Sarah, Winston, Papa, Mugzee, Louie, Callie, Brutus, Teeto Lindy & Walter
    RIP beloved pugs Faith, Samson, Bella, Casper, Carl, Odette, Emmitt, Toby, Scooter & Peanut

Thank you all for the replies. Our opthalmolgist http://www.metro-vet.com/staff-item/...oss-vmd-dacvo/ Steven Gross pioneered cataract lens replacement for dogs. A friend's chihuahua that went blind from diabetes regained his sight from Dr Gross. I don't have a money tree but would do anything for either dog even if it means debt. I am very worried.
    Last edited by puggy123; 04-22-2016 at 09:10 PM.
    SiennasMommy likes this.

It's only one eye and it came on too suddenly...like overnight.

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by puggy123 View Post

Pugsley right, Jimmy left.
    Ąwwwwww! You have beautiful furkids! Such preciousness! So sorry to hear of eye troubles. I will keep both your furkids in my thoughts and prayers. I hope this eye condition is an easy fix.
    Sienna's Pictures and Bio - http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1302954 I love you, baby girl!

Help Lisa (6 Beautiful Pugs) and the senior pugs at the "Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch" through their Amazon Wish List http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi.../104M0QBM5XSWW

We went to our wonderful vet, Beth Derr, and just like an intermittent car issue, Pugsley's eye was brown! Last night it was blue and almost swollen. Since it's fluctuating, I have to bring him in when it's blue. My vet confirmed that Pugsley does have nuclear sclerosis in his eyes, which appear to be cataracts but are not. Normal issue for pugs, as I learned here - thank you scooterpug 77
    Tinker's mom likes this.

+ Reply to Thread