Another mast cell, one week after last surgery
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Another mast cell, one week after last surgery

jennpants is offline Village Puppy

Default Another mast cell, one week after last surgery

My 11 year old pug, Oliver, has another (suspected) mast cell tumor and I am completely heartbroken and need to get this off my chest. He had his first MCT in 2012 and it was low grade with clean margins. He had another in October 2015, low with clean margins. Then he developed one on his foot of December 2015 that was low grade but slightly dirty margins. Because of the location on the foot, we had to leave the wound half open while it healed. We did daily bandage changes for over a month and the surgeon did not recommend radiation or any other treatment because it was low grade and the open wound healing also took off additional layers of flesh. He has been on benadryl and tagamet since the foot surgery.

Two weeks ago, I found a small riced size MCT on his chest which we had removed last Monday and there is still no word on grade. Yesterday, he grew a small very suspicious looking lump on his head and I felt so ill. He doesn't even have the stitches out from the last surgery and obviously this is in a bad spot. We called our vet about seeing an oncologist but no word yet and I started putting cannabis oil on the new lump in the meantime but the wait is killing me. He has been a bit restless since his surgery because of nausea (the vomiting always seems to happen a day or two before a new MCT pops up) and then constipation, both of those issues have resolved but he still doesn't seem as comfortable as he could so I am open to any suggestions to make him feel better before we start a different treatment. Thank you for listening!

JoanneN is offline Village Governor

I am so sorry, I am going through this with my Goliath. We have had so many removed that I stopped counting at 15. He has another on his ear that we have decided to just watch since the others were grade 1 or 2 and they got good margins on them. I just don't want to keep cutting him up because of these....so we watch and he is on Benadryl. Good luck and Pug Hugs.
    jennpants likes this.
    Joanne
    Mom to Goliath and Penny.
    Dora and Brutus are waiting for us at the bridge.

Loconn55 is offline Village Royalty

So sorry to hear this! Keep putting the oil on several times a day -- I've been using it on Chainsaw's adenomas, and when I did it only once a day they regrew quickly. You might want to start oral cannabis(VERY small dose, less than half a grain of rice, and mixed with coconut oil) and also of course benadryl (1 pill) and tagamet (1/4 pill) 2 x daily. Good luck!
    See Lisa's (6 Beautiful Pugs) 'wishlist' for her grumble at the Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch and help them out at:http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi...ref=cm_sw_su_w

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Prayers for you
    jennpants likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

Stupid MCTs! I'm so sorry to hear this. You hate to just keep having them cutting into him all the time, but you hate to leave them, too. Lisa's Bear had a lot of them cut out all at once and then they came back.

Loconn55 gave some good advise. Wishing your baby the best and no more recurrences!
    jennpants likes this.
    Sienna Foo Ming Geeting
    May 30, 2006 ~ January 11, 2021
    You will always always always be number one in my heart.
    I love you baby girl.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Sending pug hugs!
    jennpants likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

I will be sure to put it on multiple times a day - he smells like suntan lotion! I actually started a 1/2 grain rice sized amount orally today and even if it does not help his tumors, he is not arching his back for the first time in months! He has had lower back pain that we could not alleviate with rimadyl, tramadol, or prednisone so I am happy he is getting some relief. I hope the oral oil helps his nausea and nighttime restlessness. No word back from the vet despite waiting all day, they are usually good about this so I will have to call them again in the morning. Thanks so much everyone!

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Sending along lots of hugs, prayers & positive thoughts for you & precious Oliver!
    jennpants likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

We heard back about the tumor that was removed last week and it is low grade - yay! The suspected MCT on his head appears to be staying the same, we will be getting it aspirated this Saturday when he gets his stitches out. The oncologist is booked up until June because of going on vacation, so I hope our regular vet can manage in the meantime.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Positive thoughts coming for your baby.
    jennpants likes this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast