Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By kobwes
  • 2 Post By puglover22
  • 1 Post By Tinker's mom
  • 2 Post By Wonka & Nilla

Thread: Allergy Question

bfrazee85 is offline Village Puppy

Default Allergy Question

Hello everyone! Lately we've been noticing that Holly has really been having an itchy face. Most of the time it's when she first wakes up, she rubs her face on the carpet as though she's trying to scratch her face/ears. Other than that, not much more itchy than I would think any dog would be. When we were at the vet last, the vet said that she probably gets summer allergies and I know she gets some gunky ears that we try and keep clean. Does anyone have a suggestion of something we may be able to give her to help relieve some of her itchiness? Or would something like that only be obtainable through the vet?

Thanks!

kobwes is offline Village Puppy

You can buy special shampoos to help, or if gets really bad then the vet may suggest seasonal steroid injections (although I have no experience with these). The other things to look at is diet - making sure everything is hypo-allergenic.

I put viacutan in Wesley's food each evening which seems to help a lot with itchiness, and try to keep ears clean as much as possible! He used to get really bad hot spots but (touch wood) that hasn't been the case for a while.
    bfrazee85 likes this.

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

Benadryl will help, one per day. You might want to check her nose wrinkle. Sometimes Louie rubs his face or paws at it and it's because his nose wrinkle gets slightly infected and needs regular maintenance!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and bfrazee85 like this.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire - 3/15/06 - 6/30/22
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I use doggy Zyrtec I get from the vet in the spring for Tinker.
    bfrazee85 likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Important note for our Non-USA members: here in the USA, brand name Benadryl is simply Diphenhydramine and nothing else. In some countries, Benadryl is made with other ingredients! Please make sure you check the label and use ONLY diphenhydramine.

There are several allergy med's that are safe for dogs... and you may have to try a couple different pills to figure out what works best. For us, we found that Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) did nothing for Nilla's seasonal allergies. Instead, she takes Chlorpheniramine (brand name is Chlor-trimaton) as needed during allergy time. You can ask your vet for some different dog-safe allergy medications to use.

Besides allergy pills, I agree with what others have said above regarding special shampoos and checking the nose wrinkle. Both of those are good ideas! A bath to get the pollen (or allergy causing stuff) off the fur may help. You might also try wiping Holly's fur and feet with an unscented wet wipe when she comes in from outdoors.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and bfrazee85 like this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

StephenGOO is offline Village Puppy

GOO Hello Village Puppy

Summer / Itchy Face / Gunky Ears ..

Your DVM is Correct > All add up Classic Signs of Enviro Allergies.

Research indicates that 80% of our Allergy Dogs = Allergy to the Same Enviro Pollens / Dust Mites / Molds that Us Humans Suffer From.

While Steroids / Pharma > Do Stop the Itch ...

But they achieve their Itch Suppression Goal Short Tern by Suppressing the Animal's Entire Immune System, leaving the Animal vulnerable to Secondary Health Issues .. Typically Infection in our Allergy Dogs due to Itch > Open Wound > Infection.

To Address this Slippery Slope, DVM Dermatologist / Healthy GOO Medical Director / Dr. Kristin has Formulated a GOO-Licious / Daily Peanut Butter Treat called Dog Allergies | Dog Food Allergies - Healthy GOO â„¢ ..

Doggy GOO ....

Addresses Allergy from the Inside > Out ...

By building heightened "Internal" Immune Tolerance to 15 Enviro Sources, with the GOO Goal that "External" Allergy Symptoms are No Longer Triggered.

Friendly Reminder > Allergy is a Cumulative / Progressive "Allergy Fire" that only Burns Brighter & Hotter as Time goes by ...

So, before your Pug-ster's Itching & Gunky Ears > Get Out of Control ...and DVM Visits are more $$$ Frequent ..

Consider a GOO-Licious Doggy GOO Treat.

+ Reply to Thread