Urgent help with pug coughing
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By 6 Beautiful Pugs

Thread: Urgent help with pug coughing

Reuben is offline New to the Village

Exclamation Urgent help with pug coughing

I'm not sure about the age of pug as she was adopted . Vet said that she has a enlarged heart and a respiratory tract infection. She's coughing all night and have tried all natural medication and the Antibiotics given by vet. But she's coughing only indoors and not outside. Can anybody see the x-ray and tell me how's her lungs?

Kindly see my display picture for the x-ray. Need urgent inputs. Have tried all natural remedy and also given all medication suggested by vet

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

I can't open the picture larger, and I am not even proficient with reading x-rays, but there are normally many reasons for coughing from mild like allergies to extremely serious like heart failure, cancer or pneumonia.

What does you vet say?

How long has he been coughing and is he also having trouble breathing?

Any discharge from the nose?

Is he eating and drinking well?

How is his energy level?

What is his temperature?

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Vet said it's a respiratory tract infection, But x-ray also revealed a enlarged heart and ECG showed irregular beats. She eats well and seems normal. Multiple visits to pet is not helping. No temperature. And there is discharge from her nose

She has trouble breathing indoors but not in the car or outside.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Have the vet take a sample of the runny nose and send it in for a culture and sensitivity. That *should* tell you what the infective agent is so that they may prescribe an antibiotic that will work. Make sure to give the antibiotic exactly as directed and for 10-21 days to assure all of the infection is gone.

Ask the vet to prescribe heart medication. I am not sure what is available there, but here it would be lasix, Vetmedin and benazepril. There are others too if those are not well-tolerated. The lasix, especially, should improve the cough. She will need to be on these for life and will need to be monitored every 3-6 months and the dose adjusted as needed.

Keep her from strenuous exercise and heat. Keep her on the thin side of normal weight. If she is overweight it is VERY important to get the extra weight off of her.

Give her a nice wrinkle rub for me.

Take care,
    Lisa

Give your dog human expectorant. Look for pure guaifenesin tablets. Do not get the kind mixed with other medications. Give 1/2 of a 400 mg. tablet 2-4 times per day as needed. For life.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Teddys Mom is offline New to the Village

Yes, please get the cough taken care of as quickly as possible. Years ago my pug developed a respiratory infection/ lung infection. They couldn't ever find out what it was from.. all the coughing really worsened his trachea.

+ Reply to Thread