Pug eyes
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shaynapug

Thread: Pug eyes

Sparkz is offline Village Puppy

Default Pug eyes

It might be something asked before quite a few times but I couldn't find anything about it.

How much force do you think it would take to damage a pugs eyes?

Would it be the same as any other dog with the only thing that makes it more likely to happen being the short/flat muzzle?

I'm wondering because Winston is a super hyper puppy and I worry when he is doing laps around my coffee table and has the occasional knock onto the edges of the table.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Very little. As with any other dog; direct contact will likely cause damage. Whiskers and eyelashes help, even in short nosed dogs.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Since there is no nose........that part of the protection is not there!!! Direct contact as stated will cause a problem! Last time, Izzy had dirt in her eye and it caused an ulcer!

Lesson for me was to train pups early with lubricant (which also protects the eyes). That way, if meds are needed you don't have to fight with them to get the drops in!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

MBM09 is offline Village Mayor

Be very careful with those edges! I would buy those covers they sell for tables to protect babies. You can probably find them at a Babies R Us or even a Target.

I am always SO paranoid about their eyes. Don't take any chances.

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

not much at all......puppy proof your home for sharp edges

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

Thanks all. Will try training him with lubricant and will look at covering edge. It does worry me with him in his really hyper puppy state because he is constantly jumping around and putting his head into everything. Normally he will drag toys towards me and then jump like crazy all over them which is a concern in case his eye bumps into the toy.

1 good thing is in just a few days he sort of knows his name. When I say it he stops and looks at me, so if I see him going a bit too crazy I can calm him down by saying his name

LolaVilla is offline Village Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    Since there is no nose........that part of the protection is not there!!! Direct contact as stated will cause a problem! Last time, Izzy had dirt in her eye and it caused an ulcer!

Lesson for me was to train pups early with lubricant (which also protects the eyes). That way, if meds are needed you don't have to fight with them to get the drops in!
    Now I am worried. We are bringing home our puppy next week and my house furnitures are not puppy or baby proof yet.

I have three tables (side, coffee and console) was a set that are made of tempered glass for the legs. I was thinking might be good to keep them so the pup can't chew the furnitures. Those are not sharp but if she gets her face hits into it, I do not know what could happen.

Diesel's mom is offline New to the Village

Can anyone recommend a lubricant? Do I need to see the vet or can I just go to a supply store? I'm always wiping Diesel's eyes and am paranoid about dirt getting in them

The problem I was concerned about Lola was the fast pace a puppy runs about so when they are getting used to their surroundings and running around fast, they could take knocks. From what I know now with the replies here and research, if that knock was on the eye, it could cause problems. I guess even soft things like a soft toy in the eye could cause problems. What about getting a puppy playpen? Trust me, it's a good idea for most of the time, then when your puppy is let out into the room to explore, keep an eye out and give him/her something else to put their energy into (instead of running around) like toys, a blanket or dog bed.

As for lubricant. You might need someone else to reply but from looking, it seems 1 from a supply store is fine with the least amount of nasties in it.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

My puppies run my house like nuts! They're a bit over 4 months old......and run with their 1 yr old sister, who is really rough with them!!! You cannot keep them penned up......they need to get the muscles developed and strong...etc!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread