Mange/skin allergy?!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mange/skin allergy?!

Amysarahx is offline Village Puppy

Default Mange/skin allergy?!

Hello all, new to this... I brought my first pug puppy a few weeks ago and he is now 11 weeks old. He came to me with an umbilical hernia. When I brought him home I noticed a few lumps/spots on his head, the vet diagnosed it as possible puppy acne. The antibiotics did take most of it away but still had a few and also the odd one on his body. He also had a few black spots on his tummy which I passed off as nothing or maybe dirt. A few weeks later I went away for 4 days and my mum had him, when I returned he had completely changed from a pale pink colour skin to grey/black. I am noticing hair loss on his front legs also and now he has got more spots on his belly near his genitals which look like human spots ready to pop. He went to the vet for his last injections and I mentioned it, he didn't have the spots underneath then. She said the skin change was normal but as she noticed I was very worried she agreed possible allergy/mange. He is on nex guard and I haven't noticed any side affects (been on 2days.) We didn't do a skin scrape as the vet said we can try him on this to see if it goes. I am so worried about him and I just want to know if anyone has experienced this and your opinions on what it might be. I will add photos later. Thanks Amy.

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

I find it odd that she (Vet) suggested it could possibly be allergy/mange but didn't do a scraping?? I'd go back right away and get one done and not wait and see and possibly have it get worse, but that's just me. I hope your baby gets better quickly! Keep us updated!

BTW........ to the Village!
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana**

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Definitely insist on a skin scraping.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Insist on a skin scraping.

Is he fawn or black? I am assuming fawn and it is not normal for skin to go from pink to black that fast at that young an age. I have two entire fawns and their testicles have darkened over the years, which is apparently a normal, hormonal thing, but the rest of their skin is still a lovely pink.

Pugs can get what look like human zits on their faces during adolescence and this is normal. Feeding only out of metal or ceramic dishes, not plastic, helps with that. But what you are describing is not normal and sounds like some sort of bacterial infection to me. Maybe the initial course of meds was not long enough. Not being funny, but I am not very impressed by the attitude of your vet. Nexgard is a flea preventative and as far as I know will do nothing for anything else. If she accepts it could be mange she absolutely should have done a scraping rather than try Nexgard to see what happens. Personally I would be seeking a second opinion.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Thanks for your replies. I am too not very happy with the vet. I went to the same practice but saw 2 different vets not out of choice just how it happend. To be honest she probably just gave me the nexguard to shut me up as I was just so worried it was mange but yes now I think I should of had the skin scraping as now I'm just worrying what if it's not and its an allergy. I think it's recently worked effectively for mange that's why but the side affects aren't great after reading up on it and her telling me it wouldn't harm him if I gave it him and he didn't have it. Anyway, his bowls aren't plastic I've made sure of that, he's on Royal cabin food atm and wondering if he should be on something diff? I would ask my vet all this but I really don't think they will help, going to see them one last time as he now has more spots and see what they say then probably go elsewhere. How do I add a picture on here?!

Gatormatt75 is offline Village Puppy

Do the spots look similar to chicken pox, get a dry scab over them, and itch really bad?

Yea, they didn't used to itch as much as they do now and before they were just on his head and have now developed on his underneath which have actually gone today but they are still on his back legs where he can reach to naw on at the top (really can't think of the word for what that place is called) lol. He is itching generally though too. Thinking its possibly mange and an allergy?

He is also hot, but I'm not sure how hot is normal for a puppy as I know they are warmer, something else the vet never commented on?!

Gatormatt75 is offline Village Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Amysarahx View Post
    Yea, they didn't used to itch as much as they do now and before they were just on his head and have now developed on his underneath which have actually gone today but they are still on his back legs where he can reach to naw on at the top (really can't think of the word for what that place is called) lol. He is itching generally though too. Thinking its possibly mange and an allergy?
    I just went through a bacterial skin infection with my pug Stella, It could be that.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Poor little guy. If he is really biting at the spots you may need to consider a cone. But that won't stop him scratching with his paws wherever he can reach so it's of limited value.

Royal Canin is not the greatest quality food out there, although many people do feed it. It may be worth trying something else. I have heard good things about Arden Grange, Wainwrights, Fish4Dogs and Lily's Kitchen. We use James Wellbeloved grain free, which is generally thought of as a 4 star rather than 5 star but happens to suit my pugs - one of whom has food allergies and the other a very sensitive tum.

It really does sound as though there may be something going on other than (or in addition to) a straightforward allergy and I hope you get some proper answers from this veterinary practice or can find a better one.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast