Impregnated Pug....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Impregnated Pug....

  1. #1
    JessicaC1991 is offline New to the Village
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    3

    Default Impregnated Pug....

    Morning all!

    I'm after some advice as I am a first-time pug parent and I'm really struggling to make a decision on the near future with my beloved pug Betty.

    A quick back story, I brought Betty when she was 8 weeks old, her bloodline is mostly pug but some way back she has Patterdale terrier in her. This makes Betty a lot taller and slimmer than a normal pug and her nose is'nt as squished as a normal pug.

    Betty is now 18 months old as a big bundle of fun.
    Betty has attended a Doggy Day Care Centre since she was a small puppy twice a week where she can run and play with other dogs all day and help with social skils. Everything was going great until last month - the 22nd to be exact.

    Betty had come on her 2nd season around the 9th of August and I had spoken to the lady at doggy day care and decided to give her a break from there for 3 weeks due to the lady not being able to fully control the dogs and we didnt want her getting caught. However, on the 22nd August I had a family emergancy so when I spoke to the lady at doggy day care and she welcomed Betty with open arms and offered to look after her for me as there were no 'in tact' dogs attending that day - or so she thought.

    To cut a long story short when I returned to pick Betty up a few hours later there had been an accident and and Betty had been caught by a 2-year-old male cocker-poo called Chaos. He was slightly bigger than Betty but he hadnt hurt her, the staff said they were stuck together for 30 minutes but neither party was bothered, they both stayed very calm and they even said that after it was all done that betty looked very smug with herself and trotted off to play with the other dogs.

    Betty hasnt been back since as I was mortified.

    I took Betty to the vet 7 days after for the injection to terminate the pregancy however the vet talked me out of it and said he would spay her in 6 weeks time and remove and terminate the puppies then..... baring in mind she will only have 2 weeks left in her pregnancy....

    This is where my dilemma comes in...

    First if all I feel so cruel terminating the pregnancy at such a late stage, has anyone ever had to go through this?
    Second of all I'm worried for Bettys health because the male dog was a larger breed so if i let her have the puppies what would happen?
    Thirdly how much would a standard C-Section be?

    Any advice or guidance would be great!

    Many Thanks


  2. #2
    tall grass pugs's Avatar
    tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    27,706

    Default

    Betty does not need the pregnancy which I am betting would have to be by C-Section. And the admittedly mongrel pups would be difficult to place and a burden to the mother. Surgically terminating the pregnancy is difficult as the uterus is heavily furnished with blood and engorged. Terminate it now, the vet should have terminated it when you came in. Tell the owner of the daycare that she is liable for all vet expenses. Perhaps a more involved vet for a second opinion?
    puglover22 likes this.

  3. #3
    Snifter's Avatar
    Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    18,308

    Default

    I am appalled that the vet talked you out of the injection. I have never heard of a late stage spay and termination and I agree you should see whether the pregnancy can be terminated by other means now. I fear it may be too late and you may now have to look at allowing her to have the pups, given the risks of a late stage termination. I would be contacting the RCVS for advice on whether a formal complaint against the vet should be considered.

    I suggest you find a second vet immediately for a proper consultation to see what the options are and to find out the cost of a C section should one be needed. You can't tell until they start whelping whether there are going to be problems that require a C section. I assume you have no experience of dealing with whelping and you may want to find someone locally who does and who may prepared to be on hand to give guidance. Otherwise you will need to find a good veterinary surgery, preferably one with proper night, weekend and holiday cover since, Sod's Law being what it is, problems will likely arise out of hours.

    Pugs are not always the best of mothers and if you allow her to have the pups you will have to be prepared to take time off work and be available 24/7 to ensure she feeds them properly.

    The daycare woman sounds like a well-meaning idiot but you should check the contract with them in case there is liability for the costs of this sort of thing.
    puglover22 likes this.


    Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

    http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com









  4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

  5. #4
    allygirl's Avatar
    allygirl is offline Village Admiral
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    That is absolutely ridiculous. I wish I could smack that vet upside the fricken head!!!! She should have most definitely got the shot when you took her in. That vet should have NEVER tried talking you out of it. Get a second vet opinion and a dog can be spayed at any time during pregnancy but IMO it should be done as early as possible!
    I had to have a dog get the shot before....my Pyrenees was in heat, she was on MY property in MY goat pen being contained however a male dog got in with her while in heat. She went to the vet next day, got the shot and started on pills. No mutt pregnancy for her. :) I suggest you either push the vet to do the right thing or find a different vet that will.

  6. #5
    JessicaC1991 is offline New to the Village
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Thanks guys,

    I'm completely mortified by the whole situation...

    The reasoning behind the vets decision was she may have not of been pregnant so why should we disturb her hormone balance if it wasn't needed.

    Plus we were planning on spaying her 3 months after her season anyway so he said rather than upsetting her system twice we will do it all at once, he did get another vet in for a second opion who said exactly the same thing.

    Would you definitely not suggest keeping the pups then?

  7. #6
    JessicaC1991 is offline New to the Village
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    3

    Default

    [img]img_1149.jpg[/img]

  8. #7
    allygirl's Avatar
    allygirl is offline Village Admiral
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    I suggest getting the shot and standing your ground on it. There is a good possibility my dog never caught, heck he may not have even mounted her to begin with but I got the shot anyways because I did not want any mutt puppies from her. My vet did the shot/pills with out questioning it, in fact he recommended it when I told him the situation. I disagree with your vet 100% I am not familiar with where you are from, maybe you guys dont have the over population of dogs like we do around here? Maybe thats why there isn't as much concern on if she has puppies.
    puglover22 likes this.

  9. #8
    Tinker's mom's Avatar
    Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manteo,North Carolina,USA
    Posts
    20,680

    Default

    Get the shot now and find another vet. I'm so sorry you're facing this. Prayers all goes well.
    puglover22 likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

  10. #9
    Snifter's Avatar
    Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    18,308

    Default

    Raising pups is hellish hard work. Rewarding, of course, but there is a huge difference between a planned litter with time off work to cater for it and an accident. And then you have to find good homes for the pups. That kind of mix will probably look pretty cute so I would be surprised if you had huge difficulty in finding buyers. What you might, however, have a problem with is finding responsible buyers who will look after the puppies properly.

    I still think you should speak to a vet again but you may now be in the position where a late termination or allowing her to whelp (with a possible C section) might carry roughly equal risk to the mum. I don't know, but if that is the case then it is really the puppies that are at issue.

    Good luck with whatever you decide. Pug hugs. I would be furious to have been put in such a position.

    allygirl - we do have a problem with overpopulation here but not such that it would be impossible to place crossbreed pups of this mixture. Pug mixes are becoming ever more popular here :-( It's the likes of staffies where there is a problem.
    Pat's Crew and scooterpug77 like this.


    Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

    http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com









  11. #10
    Pat's Crew's Avatar
    Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kincardine, ontario, canada
    Posts
    23,435

    Default

    Bella gives great advice.......
    I would trust her 100% on this issue.....
    scooterpug77 likes this.
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts