No appetite at all :(
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: No appetite at all :(

Missymugs is offline New to the Village

Default No appetite at all :(

Well I have an 11 year old bay girl named Miss mugs, I noticed about a week ago so vomiting and diarrhea for two days and some loss of appetite , I took her to the vet they gave me into nausea med and antibiotic. I think it has been about a week and now Muggles won't eat anything! she will drink some water and eat bits and pieces or turkey in the A.M. just enough to take her pills. I have never i my life had a problem getting her to eat treats or regular food... I am very worried and she is losing weight, anyone have any experience with this?

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Hi!

Sounds as if you need to talk to the vet again as there may be other things going on here. Older dogs can get picky with their food though so it's probably time to start adding some strong smelling toppings e.g. Pilchards, sardines, salmon etc and if you're feeding kibble, soften it with some gravy before feeding it.

Let us know how you get on :)
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Annabellam is offline Village Mayor

I agree, sounds like it has something serious going on and it's important to undertake further tests to establish whatever it is. Probably a viral or bacterial infection, or something totally different. It would be helpful for the vet to know when these problems started by retracing any probable causes. You could try feeding a bland diet say chicken breast and rice. Sardines and salmon toppings help. Lots of broth is important and try hand feeding if it what will get it taking those extra bites. If all this fails supportive care will be necessary. I hope that the vet can help establish what's going on ASAP. I wish you the best with your pug.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I agree with the others, it's time for another vet visit. One week on antibiotics should be enough to start seeing some improvement.
    Sending best wishes for Miss Mugs and I hope she feels better soon.

Welcome to PugVillage!
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Jenb is offline Village Mayor

Sometimes canned dog food can get them eating again. I'd be asking for a blood test asap, and have the vet check her lymphnodes, abdomen, teeth etc, if they haven't done so already. Could also ask the vet about prednisone or some type of appetite stimulant to get her eating and drinking. Good luck keep us posted. Also if she is dehydrated there is also stuff they can give you to add to her water, same thing as pedialite for kids.
    scooterpug77 likes this.

We have had blood work done now and they say they can't find anything wrong in the blood. I have had her on Hills persripction diet and have to blend it and get her to eat it with a syringe. She is very willing to eat what I blend up and it has not become forced, I have her on prednisone too it seems to be help slightly... Back to the vet tomorrow afternoon and get a weigh in,Wish us luck on hopefully gaining a bit

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Is the antibiotic done? Could be upsetting her stomach??

Try Royal Canine puppy mousse or mix baby food meat into her food
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Saging is offline New to the Village

Mine wouldn't eat when she was on antibiotics either.

I am off the antibiotic with her and now we are treating for Inflamed bowel :( we are doing 5 Mg. of prednisone a day. She has still been losing weight and have been trying my hardest to feed her the hills diet. Does anyone have any experience with prednisone? like side effects or if it worked for them?

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

I don't have experience with Prednisone but Toddy was on Dexamethasone (another steroid) when he had meningitis. Typically steroids will make dogs very hungry, thirsty, and a bit hyper.

Given that this has been going on for a while now I would not personally be too worried about the Hills diet and would basically be feeding her whatever she will take until things improve. I would also be asking the vet to advise on further diagnostic options as the bloods are showing nothing. Have they done an ultrasound to see if there is anything untoward internally?

I hope you get some answers soon and that she improves.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast