Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By scooterpug77
  • 1 Post By Rugbysmom
  • 2 Post By poleysmama
  • 2 Post By poleysmama

Thread: Esophagitis???

poleysmama is offline Village Mayor

Default Esophagitis???

So after poleys dental he's been coughing badly, he was coughing so bad 2 days later he coughed up blood, said it was probably what he was swallowing...on Friday he was coughing so bad he was throwing up and swallowing so hard his neck was haunching. Took to er said no fluid in lungs, gave hydrocodone, yesteray morning didn't wanna eat took him to my vet and she brought out wet food that he gobbled up...gave instructions to start prednisone today since his last rimadyl was friday...started imrpoving a bit yesterday pooped well and ate more, this morning he didn't wanna eat as much....coughing not as frequently and I noticed when I hold his head up the coughing subsides....I think he has esophagitis, so scared that he has a stricture though....not sure what to do feel helpless...

scooterpug77 is offline Village Mayor

If this started right after dental surgery, it will most probably be from the intubation. Some vets use too large a tube or too rigid. It is an irritation or scratching in the throat. I have had a few do this, tramadol (for non-productive) coughs will work. It tranquilizes them a bit for sure, but since the cough kind of self perpetuates the problem in the throat, it is important to try to suppress that cough. Usually it will clear up within the week. Cough syrup is also useful, be sure what kind you use is good for dogs. Warm water with honey and lemon is a good home remedy if you can get them to drink it.
    The wet soft food is good as it wont irritate the throat as kibble would. Chicken ground up, I use a bullet grinder, but anything that makes a soft moist meal is good in the short term.
    Mum to 11 current pug rescues: Bonkers, Sarah, Winston, Papa, Mugzee, Louie, Callie, Brutus, Teeto Lindy & Walter
    RIP beloved pugs Faith, Samson, Bella, Casper, Carl, Odette, Emmitt, Toby, Scooter & Peanut

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Please keep us posted on how Poley is doing! Hope he feels much better & quite coughing real soon!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

How is Poley? I'll be watching this thread intently.....Louie got esophagitis after a dental and developed a stricture. You can search for my posts if you want, it was October of 2015. We went thru a real ordeal. He couldn't swallow anything his esophagus narrowed to the size of a drinking straw. he kept choking and throwing up. I hope Poley doesn't have a stricture. Louie had 3 surgeries, 2 weeks apart and I have to blend his food for the rest of his life.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

He's got his appetite back I got some i/d from work added cisapride and he just started the prednisone yesterday. He's kept everything down so far though. His cough is still there when he gets up and walks around still blending his food took out the chlindamyacin cuz I read that that and rimadyl causes esophagitis. I was curious too because he had no problems when he had his CT scan but the dental last July he had similar symptoms sure enough he was on both chlindamyacin and rimadyl for both the dental so I think that really contributed to it...I am praying he doesn't have a stricture too that would be awful but I'm hoping that because he's keeping things down that that means it's just inflammation....I did actually read your posts I've been searching like a mad woman lately as we all do lol
    Wonka & Nilla and puglover22 like this.

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

I will keep my fingers crossed that it's just inflammation and it subsides!

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

I hope he's all better soon and it's certainly nothing serious. Just wanted to add that it may be wise to speak to the vet about a different painkiller because clindamycin is an antibiotic and ideally he would finish the course really. If he did finish the course then that's fine :)
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Sending good vibes for Poley and I hope the med's continue to work so that he feels much better soon.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

So poley has been doing better as far as eating goes...he didn't poop all day yesterday until 9 30 pm and I tell you what it was the longest poop I have ever seen come out of a dog...I didn't give him his hydrocodone last night thinking maybe it was making him blocked up...bad idea because this morning he was coughing so bad he coughed up a little foamy mucus but no food thank god
    ..had to get the cough syrup refilled today, he's still doing the hard swallow thing where he crunches up his neck...he needs his cough tong away...I feel terrible cuz he did have a bit of a cough before the dental and it's just so bad now, only really when he walks around so I'm keeping him as still as I can...vet decided we should prolong the steroid's for 5 more days...I guess I'm just happy that he seems to be swallowing his food better....

Loconn55 is offline Village Royalty

So glad he's doing better. I forwarded the original post to Lisa, one of our pug health gurus, who responded:

She needs to have him in to another vet. A better vet hospital than can handle something like that. Could be damage from the tube, maybe laryngeal paralysis, maybe stricture, anyway needs a better hospital ($$$) with more sophisticated diagnostic tools.

But it sounds as if he's on the mend; hoping for continued improvement.
    See Lisa's (6 Beautiful Pugs) 'wishlist' for her grumble at the Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch and help them out at:http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi...ref=cm_sw_su_w

+ Reply to Thread