Has anyone used Cytopoint for itching pugs?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Has anyone used Cytopoint for itching pugs?

snugglypugs is offline New to the Village

Question Has anyone used Cytopoint for itching pugs?

Hi! My 5-year old pug, Zanna, itches all of the time. It's especially bad when she wakes from sleeping or napping. She scratches her face, her ears, her feet, and her butt. Over the years, we've tried antihistmines, and dramatic food changes. Nothing has helped. About a year ago, we moved cross-country and from the suburbs to a city high-rise. Still no change. Finally the vet didn't know what else to try, so 2 days ago, I took Zanna to a dog dermatologist. The dermatologist found a yeast infection in her ears, despite my cleaning them once a week and using drops. But that was the only issue she noted. We talked about possible allergy testing and allergy shots. We talked about alternatives to antihistamines for treating symptoms, and she recommended Cytopoint. I did quick research and the only noted symptoms were GI issues. So Zanna had the shot and we came home.

She was itchy as usual, and was otherwise normal that night. Late the next morning, she had a soft stool. I went out from noon to 4:00pm and when I came home, she was sluggish and trembling every few seconds.

https://www.facebook.com/tobyzannasw...5009294207289/

Some quick online research didn't find any Cytopoint-related symptoms for trembling. I called the dog determatologist office, and they have never seen the symptom in the hundreds of dogs they had treated with Cytopoint. So I watched her for an hour and took her to the vet clinic. Here were her symptoms:
    • Trembling
    • Listlessness
    • Lethargy
    • Loss of appetite - She sniffed a treat and ignored it. This has NEVER happened.
    • Eye mucus - Easily double the normal eye "boogers"
    • Droopy tail

The symptoms appeared right around 23 hours after the Cytopoint shot.

I had to carry her to vet because she wouldn't walk. She just stood there with her tail drooped. The vet said that dogs tremble when they're in pain and asked if she had an inujury. She had not. The vet examined her and couldn't find any problems with her back, hips, neck, or stomach. Basically, the vet had no idea what was wrong with her. Her best guess was that the site of the shot caused Zanna pain. (Maybe like a flu shot makes your arm hurt for hours.) She sent me home with a painkiller.

At home, I gave Zanna the painkiller in a pill pocket, which she sniffed twice before finally eating. An hour or so later, she stopped trembling and was able to eat dinner. At bedtime, I put a blanket on the bed and let Zanna sleep with me. Toby opted to sleep in his crate with the door open. She didn't have any problems during the night and eventually moved to the bottom of the bed instead of snuggling with me.

This morning, she's trembling again, so I'm giving her another painkiller.

My question - has anyone used Cytopoint to treat an itching pug? If so, did you have any of the side effects mentioned above? And if so, did it get better with the 2nd and 3rd dose? I need to decide whether to continue the treatment. It's only been about 40 hours since the shot, so I don't know how effective it is yet. She hasn't been itching, but she hasn't been doing much of anything.
    Proud owner of Toby & Zanna. Toby was born on Aug 9, 2011. Zanna was born on Sept 28, 2012. Toby weighed 6 pounds when we brought him home . He is now a gorgeous, fully-developed 18 pounds. Zanna came to us on Feb 16, 2014. She was 1.5 years old and was a full-grown 16 pounds.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

That sounds scary to me.....I've never heard of Cytopoint, but then I've never had a severely itchy Pug..... Could you get a 2nd opinion from a different vet? Maybe take a short video of Zanna's trembling, etc, to show the vet? I would be leery about getting a 2nd shot--when does she have to get it again? I'm sure you've tried everything you could think of--Benadryl, etc.....I've heard of a product called Dynovite (never used it myself) & I'm sure there are other supplements which MIGHT be beneficial......I assume vet checked her for demodex mites, etc?

Lisa (6 Beautiful Pugs) is our resident Pug guru & has much experience with all the health problems of Pugs, as she has her own non-profit rescue group for elderly Pugs. She has much on her plate right now, but if she happens to see this I'm sure she would have some good tips. Others will likely chime in with their experiences, also. Good luck, & please keep us posted on how Zanna is doing!
    shaynapug likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Unhappy Update on symptoms

Cytopoint is a relatively new medication used for itching. It's supposed to be more effective and have way less side effects than Atopica, that has been around for a long time. To read the info from the manufacturer, see https://www.zoetisus.com/products/do...int/index.aspx.

Since the trouble started yesterday, I've learned that the trembling can be caused by pain, such as pain at the injection site or stomach pain. Her tummy has been a little bloated. It can also be caused by nausea. And she keeps licking and making bad faces like she threw up in her mouth a little bit.

She wasn't trembling as much, so I decided not to give her the morning painkiller after all. She's been very lethargic this morning. But she did eat her breakfast. I gave her Hill's Prescription Diet - Digestive Care canned food - about 3 Tablespoons mixed with warm water to about the consistency of grits. She peed about 30 minutes later. Several hours later, she pooped and it was only a little soft. She also ate the same thing for dinner. Throughout the day she didn't move around much. Both pugs usually follow me around to whatever room I'm in. This morning, Zanna went in the bathroom with me and just laid there in the dark after I left. I had to go back and bring her out. She's also been doing the little thing where she burps and then makes a funny face like she threw up in her mouth.

So 24 hours after the problem started, she's doing a little better. Tomorrow is Monday, and thankfully, I can work from home to keep an eye on her.
    Proud owner of Toby & Zanna. Toby was born on Aug 9, 2011. Zanna was born on Sept 28, 2012. Toby weighed 6 pounds when we brought him home . He is now a gorgeous, fully-developed 18 pounds. Zanna came to us on Feb 16, 2014. She was 1.5 years old and was a full-grown 16 pounds.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I'm not familiar with Cytopoint, but her symptoms sound like tummy pain/upset to me. If she continues to burp and appears to have acid heartburn. You could try a 1/4 to 1/2 of a Zantac (ranitidine) or Tagamet (Cimetidine). Is Zanna a large or small pug? I'd stick with a 1/4 pill unless she's an especially large pug.
    Edited to add: Oops, I just saw in your signature line that Zanna weighs 16 pounds. I'd start with the 1/4 pill then and see how she does, give another 1/4 in 12 hours.

I hope Zanna feels better soon.
    Rugbysmom likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Bugoneal is offline Village Featherpug

I would probably give her a half of a Tagamet - it sounds like she has an upset tummy. I'm not very up on probiotics but that may help too. Or maybe a little yogurt? I have an itchy big girl - I mean REALLY full of allergies. She takes Apoquel,(its newer than Atopica) it makes her tummy a bit upset so she gets it with a bit of soft food (for hiding the pill) and it makes her poops soft. If I don't give her enough soft food for the pill she gets an upset tummy. She gets a bit of yogurt almost every day. Gotta keep those tummies tamed down when they have ugly allergies. Hope she's feeling better soon.
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Vizsla Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart pugs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug

Quote Originally Posted by Bugoneal View Post
    I would probably give her a half of a Tagamet - it sounds like she has an upset tummy. I'm not very up on probiotics but that may help too. Or maybe a little yogurt? I have an itchy big girl - I mean REALLY full of allergies. She takes Apoquel,(its newer than Atopica) it makes her tummy a bit upset so she gets it with a bit of soft food (for hiding the pill) and it makes her poops soft. If I don't give her enough soft food for the pill she gets an upset tummy. She gets a bit of yogurt almost every day. Gotta keep those tummies tamed down when they have ugly allergies. Hope she's feeling better soon.
    My doc told me that Apoquel has a lower success rate than Atopica. Atopica has an 85% success rate and Apoquel is 2/3 (66%). Also, the side effects of Apoquel are worse. Apoquel side effects listed for dogs in the product insert include: vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, anorexia, SQ or dermal masses (unspecified), decreased leukocytes, decreased globulins, and increased cholesterol and lipase. Cytopoint has been on the market about a year and a half and the only listed side effects are skin problems (the same probems it treats, haha) and GI issues. My doc has used Cytopoint with hundreds of patients, most of them for over a year, with no dramatic side effects.

I guess there's a risk with any medications. What I'm hoping to find now is someone that had similar issues that kept using it and the symptoms occurred only with the first dosage.

honkytonk is offline New to the Village

Quote Originally Posted by snugglypugs View Post
    Hi! My 5-year old pug, Zanna, itches all of the time. It's especially bad when she wakes from sleeping or napping. She scratches her face, her ears, her feet, and her butt. Over the years, we've tried antihistmines, and dramatic food changes. Nothing has helped. About a year ago, we moved cross-country and from the suburbs to a city high-rise. Still no change. Finally the vet didn't know what else to try, so 2 days ago, I took Zanna to a dog dermatologist. The dermatologist found a yeast infection in her ears, despite my cleaning them once a week and using drops. But that was the only issue she noted. We talked about possible allergy testing and allergy shots. We talked about alternatives to antihistamines for treating symptoms, and she recommended Cytopoint. I did quick research and the only noted symptoms were GI issues. So Zanna had the shot and we came home.

She was itchy as usual, and was otherwise normal that night. Late the next morning, she had a soft stool. I went out from noon to 4:00pm and when I came home, she was sluggish and trembling every few seconds.

https://www.facebook.com/tobyzannasw...5009294207289/

Some quick online research didn't find any Cytopoint-related symptoms for trembling. I called the dog determatologist office, and they have never seen the symptom in the hundreds of dogs they had treated with Cytopoint. So I watched her for an hour and took her to the vet clinic. Here were her symptoms:
    • Trembling
    • Listlessness
    • Lethargy
    • Loss of appetite - She sniffed a treat and ignored it. This has NEVER happened.
    • Eye mucus - Easily double the normal eye "boogers"
    • Droopy tail

The symptoms appeared right around 23 hours after the Cytopoint shot.

I had to carry her to vet because she wouldn't walk. She just stood there with her tail drooped. The vet said that dogs tremble when they're in pain and asked if she had an inujury. She had not. The vet examined her and couldn't find any problems with her back, hips, neck, or stomach. Basically, the vet had no idea what was wrong with her. Her best guess was that the site of the shot caused Zanna pain. (Maybe like a flu shot makes your arm hurt for hours.) She sent me home with a painkiller.

At home, I gave Zanna the painkiller in a pill pocket, which she sniffed twice before finally eating. An hour or so later, she stopped trembling and was able to eat dinner. At bedtime, I put a blanket on the bed and let Zanna sleep with me. Toby opted to sleep in his crate with the door open. She didn't have any problems during the night and eventually moved to the bottom of the bed instead of snuggling with me.

This morning, she's trembling again, so I'm giving her another painkiller.

My question - has anyone used Cytopoint to treat an itching pug? If so, did you have any of the side effects mentioned above? And if so, did it get better with the 2nd and 3rd dose? I need to decide whether to continue the treatment. It's only been about 40 hours since the shot, so I don't know how effective it is yet. She hasn't been itching, but she hasn't been doing much of anything.
    One of my pugs has terrible problems every summer with itchy skin. Right now I'm trying raw day food. It seems so be working but it's only 3 days. He loves it and it's better then chemicals or prednisone that the vet gives him.

Sent from my LG-V497 using Tapatalk

Default Update on Zanna

Zanna's doing a little better. She's eating a little once per day and is drinking water. She still doesn't feel good and is on antibiotics. However, the medicine didn't help her itching. I'm documenting the experience on the dogs' website (yeah, I'm a nerd): How My Snuggly Pug Reacted to Cytopoint | Snuggly Pugs

Thanks for the info @honkytonk - I'd love to hear if that works out for you. Later after Zanna is all better, I'll start investigating NATURAL remedies for her itching. Her itching is all over, isn't helped by Benadryl or Zyrtec, and hasn't been helped by changing to different foods. We use Life's Abundance Gluten-Free food. I've tried Science Hill and Fromm, trying different combinations of proteins and veggies. Nothing made a difference for Zanna, but every food change messed up Toby's stomach. (Her 6 year-old brother) So next maybe I'll start making my own dog food. Who knows?
    Nina_W likes this.

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

I'm glad she's a bit better, at least.

Post Zanna is mostly better

It's been 9 days since the Cytopoint shot, which didn't work at all and made her very sick. Zanna is mostly back to normal. She's itching all the time. She's back to eating full meals. She's still finishing the antibiotic. Her poo is still soft, but no longer includes mucus. Her energy isn't 100% and she acts afraid to jump up on the sofa. (She had that problem when she was younger and when she had the flu. If she fails to jump up once, she's afraid to jump up for weeks.)

So overall, she's nearly well. But the medicine didn't work (it claims to be 75-80% effective). And it made her very sick with symptoms I've never seen before. So later this week, I'll be taking her into the vet for a follow-up visit and bloodwork. And I'll be reporting all of my results to the Cytopoint manufacturer. And I'm leaving all of the detailed information about her reaction on our website to hopefully help others that are going through the same thing.
    How My Snuggly Pug Reacted to Cytopoint | Snuggly Pugs
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast