+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By shaynapug
  • 5 Post By Krystal
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla

Thread: Pancreatitis & Coccidia!

Krystal is offline Village Governor

Unhappy Pancreatitis & Coccidia!

So Stalin is back at the vet. On Monday evening I got home from work to find him very tired/lethargic. I thought maybe it was because my bf (2nd shifter) had gotten up really early he was tired from missing his usual nap time.
    Tuesday morning he threw up a bit of his dinner....this happens from time to time. But then he refused breakfast. He did his nose work class okay, and ate dinner. Wednesday morning he refused breakfast and dinner, though he would take treats and his stella & chewys.
    Wednesday night was awful. He had diarrhea on the floor (first time in his 9 years), he puked, he kept wanting to go outside. He couldn't get comfortable, on and off the bed. He wouldn't get up like he usually does when I tap his hips and say "come on". I got him in to the vet for a drop off appointment this morning.

His feces is positive for coccidia, and his blood work came back that he has pancreatitis. We assume that this is from the big pile of feral cat feces he ate on Friday night (lots of ferals, and he got to it before we could even see it...but we know from the smell).

Vet said he's not at the level where he feels he needs to hospitalize him, unless I want it. I want to bring him home where I can watch him. He's quite perky at the vet's, ate a bit of Rx food, and is bouncing around. Very different than home! But very bad cases apparently he would not be able to do that even at an exciting place. I am to watch him VERY closely, and he will be calling me tomorrow.

He's to have only water tonight, then a 1/4 can of the Rx diet tomorrow morning and evening and see how he does. I feed organic dehydrated raw, so i'm not wild about that but I'll do whatever he needs.

I've always been to careful with him...I'm afraid of him getting worse, or this being a lifelong issue! I associate pancreatitis with horribly things, though he did say it can be quite common.
    http://i.imgur.com/SqiL4bLs.jpg
    SN PTE U-AGII Stalin von Frederic NJP, NAP, CL2, TG1
    UKC Agility High-In-Trial, UKC Nosework High-In-Trial, CGC

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I'm so sorry to hear that Stalin is sick. I hope it's a mild case and he is much better soon. I don't know enough about either condition to give advice, so I will just offer some positive vibes and best wishes for speedy recovery and no lasting issues.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

oh damn, I'm so sorry to hear this, but glad he can come home!

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

I will be praying for Stalin to recover completely. You are a good Pug Mom.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

myboysRmylife is offline Village Admiral

Poor Stalin; hope he's well very soon!

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Sending along hugs, prayers, & positive thoughts that Stalin will be feeling well soon!
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

the coccidia is an easy fix! Pancreatis...not so easy, but it sounds like you caught it before it got bad! Seeing a quick, full recovery!
    Bugoneal and Lu Ci and Ri Ki like this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Krystal is offline Village Governor

Thanks everyone!

He's slept through the last two nights, and is more himself every day. The vet allowed him water on Thursday night, then a 1/4 can of Hills for both meals on Friday, then weaning him back onto his regular food. His regular food is Honest Kitchen. I actually went out and got "Hope" and "Zeal" today, as those are the lowest fat options from Honest Kitchen. He's on an anti nausea, a dewormer, and Flagyl twice a day for diarrhea.

His stools are fewer and farther between than usual, I'm sure do to less food and the Flagyl. Though it's not quite normal yet....not firm, and a bit greasy looking to me. Just not the usual yet. He has QUITE the appetite though! He definitely does not feel his current amount of food is adequate, and he is not happy about it.

We just got back from a nice walk, he really moved and even ran for a second. His tail still uncurls part or all the way at times, I'm not sure if he's not feeling well or he's hungry. He isn't allowed treats yet this weekend so he spends a lot of time looking at the treat area. He's back to his usual amount of barking, and he's not doing the "hiding behavior" anymore.

I'm hoping all goes well this week, as we're supposed to go to a scent work competition 3 hours away from Friday-Monday. I picked up low fat treat options for it. His vet feels hopeful that we'll be able to go.
    http://i.imgur.com/SqiL4bLs.jpg
    SN PTE U-AGII Stalin von Frederic NJP, NAP, CL2, TG1
    UKC Agility High-In-Trial, UKC Nosework High-In-Trial, CGC

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Sounds very positive and I'm so glad Stalin is feeling better.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I hope so glad Stalin is feeling better and I hope he is well enough to go to the scent work competition.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

+ Reply to Thread