Who would have thought I needed support so soon?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom
  • 6 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 1 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom
  • 1 Post By Bugoneal
  • 1 Post By CSollers

Thread: Who would have thought I needed support so soon?

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default Who would have thought I needed support so soon?

I signed up to read about pugs perhaps post some pictures to show off the "PugDuett" or ask simple questions like what is your Pugs favorite toy.
    But here I am asking questions about my Gordons health.
    Gordon has been marking more than usual and we thought it due to bringing in the new puppy. Then I noticed something strange where he looked like he tried to poop but peed not lifting his leg and I even told my hubby.
    Sunday we noticed Gordon had a hard time urinating and his stream was interrupted. I knew as long as urine comes out it's not too bad. 1st thing I did I looked here. I saw UTI and Monday morning I couldn't wait 'til 8am to call the vet.
    The vet :
    We get services on the military base what saves us some $$$. They don't do everything and appointments are made anytime from 2 weeks to a month in advanced. I used to go with my Dachshund who had cancer to a vet right here in the neighborhood. I like the vet he is just the most pricey one around. I already had done research and found this new place.
    I took in a urine sample before work and my hubby was off and took in Gordy for his appointment at 1pm.
    It all went crazy here ....
    No UTI and he was not calm for an x-ray. the ultrasound showed a blockage. They needed him to stay there and get in a catheter. Not to long ago I took in my Gustl with a tooth abscess and got a cancer diagnose. I was so worried all I could think is I can not loose another dog that soon.
    They x-rayed him and a catheter was placed. From what I understand (my husband was at the office) he had sand like granulated clumped up causing the blockage.
    Blood test showed no issues otherwise.
    They asked Gordon to go back for observation the next day and to make sure he is hydrated enough. My husband took him in and picked him up that day.
    They gave him a round Clavamox because he had the catheter and put him on Royal Canin Urinary SO permanent .
    When I picked up the food today they could not tell me which type of crystals he had.
    My hubby and I try to narrow down the cause. All we can figure is a switch in food. Dummy me I looked up the new kibbles for larger dogs but the small breed formula had 34% protein.
    But we just recently added the kibbles and we are also wondering how long it takes for crystals to form?
    After reading here I ordered ph testing strips and D-Mannose Powder. I really am not certain if he should eat the prescription food for ever? The ingredients are far from recommended "good" dog food?
    If we switch to regular food should we watch for protein and magnesium or something else?
    How can you tell magnesium and other content if not listed ?
    I am happy to say Gordon is back to his normal self today. Finally excited about a walk and car ride again. And of course still annoyed by puppy Bruno.
    Last edited by GordonBrunoPugMom; 10-12-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    shaynapug, puglover22 and Bugoneal like this.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I'm so sorry to read about Gordon's issues. I'm glad he is already feeling better and I hope he makes a speedy recovery!
    It would be really helpful to know what type of stones/crystals he has. The treatments are different depending on the stone. Struvite stones are generally caused by an infection and, usually, treating the infection eliminates the issue. However, CalOx stones can be harder to eliminate and require different treatment. In the meantime though, one important thing you can do to help flush out his system is make sure he is getting plenty of water and frequent potty breaks. You may want to consider "flooding" his food to get more liquid into him. Basically this means adding enough water so his kibble is floating just a bit. Or, you could try adding a tiny bit of water from canned tuna or canned chicken to encourage him to drink more water.
    Best wishes to Gordon!
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

We always water down kibble and have added some dehydrated raw food for taste. I went and got a water fountain jut in case. Bruno loves it. Gordon knows "Go get water" we taught him some time ago, because he get's hot fast. Thank goodness we got cooler temperatures and we walk more often. Thank you! I will check out the differences on the crystals.
    puglover22 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Bugoneal is offline Village Featherpug

Really, it sounds like you have a good handle on it until you know the type of crystals. Sending positive thoughts for all of you.
    GordonBrunoPugMom likes this.
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Vizsla Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart pugs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

I hope that you can work this out for him.
    GordonBrunoPugMom likes this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

+ Reply to Thread