• 1 Post By puglover22
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 2 Post By rexbean
  • 1 Post By rexbean
  • 2 Post By rexbean

Thread: Long Term Mast Cell Treatment [options] in Pugs

rexbean is offline New to the Village

Default Long Term Mast Cell Treatment [options] in Pugs

Our 6 year old Bean has just had his second surgery in 2 years for excison of x2 Mast Cell Tumors. The tumor which was obvious to us on his back was a grade 1, the second was on his side, we had no idea was there and was a Grade 2 - both tumor margins are clear. When both surgical areas were shave there were 8 additional smaller tumors that were uncovered. We understand this is a common issue with pugs and will no doubt be an ongoing process. I just saw an Vet Oncologist today to get all the different treatment options available. I dont think the Vinblastine IV chemotherapy is necessary as he is thankfully otherwise healthy. I am concerned about using Palladia long term for prevention/maintainence due to potential for bone marrow changes as he has congenital issues with his hind legs that I dont want to exacerbate. Have done a little research about using benadryl, pepcid and hydrocortisone to help with the waxing and waning of the amount and size of the tumors. Does anyone have any recommendations based on personal experience!?!?!?

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

I was going to suggest Benadryl because it's safe. My Junior used to sprout MCT's like weeds, and after his first two major surgeries we switched to getting them lasered off. It's safer, cheaper, less invasive. If Bean makes a habit out of this, you might want to look for a vet that is skilled in laser surgery.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Hello and welcome to PugVillage!
    I'm sorry that Bean has had so many MCT's. I understand how frustrating and scary it can be. When our Nilla went in to have an MCT removed last year, they found two more when they shaved her for the surgery. Sometimes it happens that way... they get one and a bunch more pop-up. Many of us here on the forum have used Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and Zantac (Ranitidine) for Mast Cell Tumors, mainly to try to prevent recurrence of new MCT's after a surgery.
    Additionally, our vet recommended a mushroom supplement after our Nilla's MCT surgery - as an immune system booster.
    Some PugVillager's have also had success with cannabis oil applied topically. There are two types of the oil though and I forget which is the one that is good for cancer. You would also have to check it if is legal in your state.
    Some really interesting emerging research is focusing on using a low-histamine diet to help prevent MCT recurrence. There is a lot more information out there available for humans than for dogs (at least from what I've seen) and you'll need to be careful where you look, because there is a ton of inaccurate information online. But overall, the focus is to feed fresh foods, avoid fish and some of the other high histamine foods, etc.

Sending best wishes to Bean for speedy healing. I'm glad you got clear margins! That is always great news!
    rexbean likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Fantastic idea for the laser treatment! Thank you....Will do some research. Think the Benadryl route is a safe way to go as well. Do you give your Junior the pepcid as well?

Thank you for the welcome Wonka and Nilla and all the wonderful information. I feel so much less overwelmed now and am looking forward to being more proactive in hopefully preventing and treating additional MCTs. It sounds like the Benadryl/Zantac is the way to go initially. Will also check out the cannabis oil which is available here in AZ and the mushroom supplement. I am so glad I found this forum! Thanks again... :)
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by rexbean View Post
    Fantastic idea for the laser treatment! Thank you....Will do some research. Think the Benadryl route is a safe way to go as well. Do you give your Junior the pepcid as well?
    I didn't give Junior Pepcid, I didn't know about it at the time. Junior is long gone, he passed away in 2006, but you will be relieved to know that he passed away from something totally unrelated to MCT's. His autopsy showed nodular hyperplasia. His liver was generating an abnormal amount of cells.
    But as far as Pepcid, I have discovered that you should give Pepcid for a week before surgery to avoid acid burning the esophagus and creating a stricture. My Louie got a stricture after a dental (not from acid, but from an antibiotic). I'm off topic, I know but I'm glad to hear you will research the laser. It's not laser treatment, btw, it's laser SURGERY. There is a difference. Laser treatment can be used for other things

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

Thank you for the laser surgery clarification PugLover22. Sorry about your loss of Junior. Glad was not from MCT! Our fawn has chronic reflux/vomiting that is well contolled with the pepcid. I think we will investigate the laser surgery option and go with the benadryl/pepcid option to start. We will easily be able to add Bean to the family 'dosing' mix. Pepcid for all! Have a great weekend. :)

+ Reply to Thread