Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Tinker's mom
  • 2 Post By Mom to Lucy
  • 3 Post By DogMom
  • 3 Post By DogMom

Thread: Canine Colitis

DogMom is offline Village Puppy

Unhappy Canine Colitis

I rushed my little Eli to the vet this morning due to blood in his stool. I just received a call from my vet that he has colitis and I can come pick him up in an hour or so. It sounds like he will be on some medication for a while, but otherwise, he will be just fine. THANK GOODNESS!!!!!!

My question is, should I feed him a simple chicken and rice diet for a few days? Or stick with his regular diet? Also, what do you all think of a scoop of plain Greek yogurt every day as a probiotic?

Thank you in advance for your help/guidance.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

What diet did the vet suggest? Tinker had 2 bouts of it last year and I had to switch her to what the vet suggested plus I put her on Forti Flora everyday. The meds checked it almost right away. Prayers it does the same for you.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Mom to Lucy is offline Village Admiral

Lucy gets colitis when she's had too many goodies, or gets into the puppy's food. We do a course of antibiotics, along with a probiotic supplement. We feed half regular kibble and half chicken and rice for a couple of days.
    The vet recommended the Science Diet gastro kibble, but Lucy refuses to eat it.
    We still give both dogs a low dose of the probiotic in their food...
    Christine Honorary Pug Parent. Wrangler of Bunny the crazy EP and Maverick the soon to be huge black Labrador. Mom to one human child, wife to a wonderful hubby, and entertained by a couple of fishies.
    Forever missing our Bugsy Francis - 04/13/05 - 05/24/17 and Lucy Loo - 10/13/2005 - 12/27/2020.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Default Eli is getting better!

Thank you so much for your responses! My vet put him on canned digestive care science diet for a couple of weeks.

I cannot believe the difference in just 3 feedings, he is back to his normal, happy, wiggly self. I suspect the medication had a lot to do with it as well.

I am not at all sure how he developed the colitis, but am so glad he is on the mend.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

yes absolutely use yogurt daily. maybe a tablespoon of regular or greek, just so it isn't "lite", meaning that it has artificial sweetener. You never want to give artificial sweetener.
    Colitis can develop from stress, as we found out by adding a rescue dog to our family. My mom adopted Frannie and although everyone got along, Louie developed colitis and had a brief bout with it.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Good update to read. I'm so glad he is doing better.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

Default Thank you

Thanks for your support and guidance!

I will start plain greek yogurt... :)

Also... I was visiting the kennel where we found our Eli and they have a fawn momma there whom the breeder can't seem to convince to get pregnant. I opened my mouth and told her to please contact us in the event she decides to re-home this momma. This sweet little pug is so shy and quiet... she just spoke to me for some reason... I'll keep you posted if we are chosen to adopt her.

+ Reply to Thread