• 1 Post By LilyFayre
  • 1 Post By shaynapug
  • 1 Post By Nina_W
  • 6 Post By LilyFayre
  • 1 Post By Nina_W

Thread: BRAVECTO 8 or 12 weeks?

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default BRAVECTO 8 or 12 weeks?

I am ready to go back to a regular routine for heart worm prevention and flea protection. I had the mite issue and Bruno was to young for BRAVECTO and had given Revolution. I give Sentinel and BRAVECTO. My vet recommends BRAVECTO every 8 weeks. I know some members here use BRAVECTO also and wanted to see how often they give it to their pugs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

I think it depends on which particular types of tick you get in your specific location so you'd need to follow your own vet's advice. Here in the UK Bravecto is given every 12 weeks.

The information regarding what age you can give Bravecto varies too. Here in the UK and I think possibly Australia the instructions say it can be given at a younger age than the instructions for American dogs states. I don't honestly know the reasoning for that one - although I'd suspect it was something to do with the licensing for the product!
    GordonBrunoPugMom likes this.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I wouldn't use it at all!!! Just saw a video of a larger dog having severe seizures after having getting it!!! Was at the vet overnight to flush it's system. Coming back slowly..and may not get totally back!
    Loconn55 likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

well according to the factual statistics from the directory of veterinary medicine (VDM) in the UK it's the safest possible flea and tick product currently available. Maybe the incident you saw Diane was down to it being inappropriately given to a sick dog in the first place? In the UK that cannot happen as strict health checks are carried out by our vets prior to it being prescribed. In just under two and half million prescribed doses there was just one serious reaction to Bravecto and even that couldn't be fully ascribed to this specific drug.

I may well change from Bravecto, but only because it doesn't cover for worms. I've been using Milbemax for that, but unlike Advocate that is a combined flea, tick and wormer so gives continual protection from lungworm, Milbemax only clears what might be in the system at the time it's administered. The downside is that Advocate has had some properly, officially recorded seriously allergic responses in some dogs. I'm really undecided about it :(
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

Loconn55 is offline Village Royalty

Apparently the company has made some payoffs in foreign countries due to deaths and there is some concern about suspect/missing stats in their research. This Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/411371212394679/ is a public forum with first-person anecdotal stories of post-Bravecto problems and deaths—not an objective group; still, what I've read has been convincing enough to make me switch. But my vet swears by it, and I know other topicals are neurotoxic too, so it's a tough call, since it works very well—I've also heard it's a near miracle cure for demodex.
    See Lisa's (6 Beautiful Pugs) 'wishlist' for her grumble at the Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch and help them out at:http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi...ref=cm_sw_su_w

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    I wouldn't use it at all!!! Just saw a video of a larger dog having severe seizures after having getting it!!! Was at the vet overnight to flush it's system. Coming back slowly..and may not get totally back!
    What are you using for flea and tick prevention?

I used to give topical Advantage and I had my Dachshund and Gordon react to it . That is why I switched and the vet recommended these products. That is of course already a while ago. Anything new out there preferably not topical? I do give Sentinel heart worm preventive which has some flea control.

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

We use bravecto and it has been near miraculous. The leaflet says 12 weeks, we give it every 12 weeks.

I very much take the line of not believing what I read on the internet unless I can find concrete factual evidence to substantiate it.

For me it was simple. I went straight to the UK government body the directorate of veterinary medicine and made an application under the British Freedom of information Act to be provided with the data on Bravecto which clearly demonstrated that much of what appears on the internet at least as far as the U.K. is concerned is totally untrue and not based on any proven evidence whatsoever. It may of course not be so easy to obtain this data in other countries.

I also tend to think that it’s a distinct possibility that Bravecto may be being acquired in some countries without a Vet carrying out a health check first and the manufacturer’s instructions state quite clearly the cases in which it is not advised to give it
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Quote Originally Posted by LilyFayre View Post
    I also tend to think that it’s a distinct possibility that Bravecto may be being acquired in some countries without a Vet carrying out a health check first and the manufacturer’s instructions state quite clearly the cases in which it is not advised to give it
    We can buy bravecto over the counter here. And still, it's got the lowest incidence rate of adverse reaction here, though many dogs and cats being treated with products intended for livestock (and at livestock dosages), which means it's perhaps easier to avoid adverse reactions as long as you use a dedicated product. It helps that it's relatively expensive, making it unlikely that people would buy bigger dosages than they need.

+ Reply to Thread