• 2 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom
  • 1 Post By Snifter
  • 2 Post By Lu Ci and Ri Ki
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla

Thread: Pug puberty?

XrachyrawrX is offline New to the Village

Question Pug puberty?

Hello,

Just noticed recently that my boy Oscar (19 months old which google tells me is 19.5 human years) is a bit more sleepy than normal. I mean as a pug he loves a good nap anyway. But I mean he's napping through playtimes and seems to be more snuggly for Mummy.

I was just wondering if it's just that he is getting older (maturing from play) or that I should be keeping an eye out for anything? He's also got a bit fussy about food-sometimes doesn't eat it and turns his face away- which is very unlike him. He does eat eventually but hours later or from a spoon rather than his bowl (spoilt dude/persistent Mummy). It seems like he's depressed or something haha- hormones? Or is it the winter slog?

He's a active boy as we also have a 7 year old Collie so he goes on 2X20 min walks over the field and 2X5 minute road the block walks a day and then he's just as active. He weighs 11KG. He had flea and worm treatment this week, boosters not due until October. No breathing/skin/joint/health problems at all.

I'm not overly worried, just curious.

Thanks in advance- Rachy. x

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by XrachyrawrX View Post
    Hello,

Just noticed recently that my boy Oscar (19 months old which google tells me is 19.5 human years) is a bit more sleepy than normal. I mean as a pug he loves a good nap anyway. But I mean he's napping through playtimes and seems to be more snuggly for Mummy.

I was just wondering if it's just that he is getting older (maturing from play) or that I should be keeping an eye out for anything? He's also got a bit fussy about food-sometimes doesn't eat it and turns his face away- which is very unlike him. He does eat eventually but hours later or from a spoon rather than his bowl (spoilt dude/persistent Mummy). It seems like he's depressed or something haha- hormones? Or is it the winter slog?

He's a active boy as we also have a 7 year old Collie so he goes on 2X20 min walks over the field and 2X5 minute road the block walks a day and then he's just as active. He weighs 11KG. He had flea and worm treatment this week, boosters not due until October. No breathing/skin/joint/health problems at all.

I'm not overly worried, just curious.

Thanks in advance- Rachy. x
    Pugs settle with age but usually they do not turndown food. The activity alone would not concern me - not eating proper is unusual. Monitor him and with no change perhaps see the vet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wonka & Nilla and Renee like this.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

That doesn't sound quite right. Pugs do mellow a bit, some more than others, but it's normally such a gradual process that you only notice it much later. You know - "oh gosh, pug sleeps so much more these days than he did a year ago".

Pug puberty hits at around 6 months of age and at that time it is not unusual for there to be some food pickiness and some testing of boundaries. At 19 months it is odd and I would certainly monitor him closely.

You say he weighs 11kg which is really a lot for a pug. I am not saying he's overweight because I have not seen him and have no idea. He could just be a large-framed pug. But I mention it because the biggest favour you can do for a pug health-wise is to keep them slim. My Snifter was a large pug and he weighed 9.5kg. Toddy was 7.5kg.
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Just a thought, but what kind of flea treatment did you use? One of my companions had a strange reaction to NexGuard. He was off his food for about 5 or 6 days, seemed clingy and slept more than usual. I would keep an eye out and if this continues a Vet visit would be in order.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I agree with what has been said above. It is normal for pugs to mellow with age and slow down a bit, but turning away food is not normal. I would watch him for a few days and see if he perks up. If not, it might be time to visit the vet, just to be safe and sure that nothing is wrong.
    GordonBrunoPugMom likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

+ Reply to Thread