• 4 Post By Rugbysmom
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 2 Post By SiennasMommy
  • 1 Post By Renee
  • 1 Post By shaynapug

Thread: Angry butt

Renee is offline Village Puppy

DefaultAngry butt

Hello again! I have an appointment for Pepper on Tuesday morning to see the vet. For the last couple weeks her the skin around her anus and skin going up the backside of her tail has been irritated. Some days it looks worse than others. It looks pinkish red. She has been scooting her butt on the ground too.
    I’ve tried adjusting her diet and nothing has helped. Any ideas? Do you think it could be impacted anal glands or something? Just trying to prepare myself for the vet. I’m guessing they will express her glands and maybe do a fecal to make sure she’s ok?
    GordonBrunoPugMom likes this.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Could possibly be irritation from all the scooting on carpet, etc, and yes, could be due to anal sacs being full, or possible worms, or fleas, but because I've had 2 out of 3 Pugs with problematic anal sacs, I'm guessing anal sacs. Taking her to the vet is the right thing....please let us know how she does!
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Admiral

Sounds like impacted anal glands and possible skin irritation/ infection.
    I hope the vet will fix it .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

It does sound like there might be an infection or impaction going on. I'm glad you've got an appointment for Pepper and I hope she feels much better soon!
    Village Moderator

Mom to
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD
    and introducing... Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

Definitely take her to the vet.

Rosie does a LOT of scooting, but her bum isn't red. How hard is your baby's stool? I've put Rosie on pumpkin (pure pumpkin only, not the pie mix), which helps eliminate the butt scooting. We did take her to the vet, but he couldn't find any issues and she sees a groomer regularly to have her anals expressed (as well as regular grooming).
    Sienna's Pictures and Bio - http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1302954 I love you, baby girl!

Help Lisa (6 Beautiful Pugs) and the senior pugs at the "Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch" through their Amazon Wish List http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi.../104M0QBM5XSWW

Hubby took Pepper to the vet this morning and didn't really get any answers. They checked her glands and they seemed to be OK. They just said her butt was irritated. They gave us a spray and an antibiotic, I believe. I'll check it out when I get home from work. I hope this helps her, but since I don't really have any answers as to "why", I don't know how to prevent it from happening again. So weird.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

She might have emptied her sacs on your carpet! Could also be her vulva is bothering her.....

Did you do a fecal?
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

Watch her when she scoots. Is it her bum that she's scooting or her lady parts? I can see with Rosie that it is definitely her bum. Her stools are hard and she has a hard time pooing.

The lady that had her before us and gave her up because she didn't want her gave us her vet records. She had a lot of UTIs, but she hasn't had one since we got her (we also both our girls on bottled water).

The vet couldn't find anything wrong, but he said that she might have anal glands that are...not malformed...can't think of the word he used.
    Sienna's Pictures and Bio - http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1302954 I love you, baby girl!

Help Lisa (6 Beautiful Pugs) and the senior pugs at the "Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch" through their Amazon Wish List http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi.../104M0QBM5XSWW

They didn't do a fecal--I was kind of surprised. It's definitely her booty she is dragging on the ground. Around her anus is red and a little bit up the back side of her tail as well. She got antibiotics and an enzyme spray. The antibiotic is cephalexin, if I remember correctly.
    I just hope this helps her but it's really bothersome to not know why this is happening all of a sudden. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on her and make sure she is having normal bowel movements.

+ Reply to Thread