Hi, just looking for advice / seeing if anyone else's pug has similar symptoms and what the treatment was.
So I reluctantly had to put my 2 pugs in kennels for 8 days. They were vet checked and healthy when they went in, but I had a number of problems since collecting them (1 in particular).
The one I'm most concerned about has had 2 episodes since we collected him in which his head tilts and appears stuck, his eyes look the opposite way and also appear stuck and he is unbalanced (back leg slips backwards). These symptoms only happen during an episode, which lasts a few minutes and then he seems okay.
For the last 2 days he has started to drag his left front paw, and today his right paw too. They occasionally knuckle.
He also came home with kennel cough (despite being vaccinated), and damaged ligaments in his back leg that need to be operated on.
I believe he has fallen or jump from an excessive height which may have caused these problems but I'm not sure.
I've taken him to the vet; he has had a heart scan with a specialist and that came back fine. He is going back to the vets tomorrow to spend the day so they can monitor for a long period. I'm just concerned about time because we collected him on the 2nd April and the vets still don't seem sure. Neurological problems has been stated as a possibility but still unsure.
He seems happy in himself and still wants to play and eat.
Has anyone had experience with knuckling or random episodes on head tilting ect?
Thank you x
Oh dear. How old is he?
This sounds to me like a neuro/spinal issue. Personally I would be trying to get an immediate referral to a specialist centr where they have staff in all areas so can diagnose and treat fast. It will be expensive, but not necessarily much more than if you let the regular vet faff about trying this and that. Time is often of the essence with these things. I don’t know where you are in the UK but if by any chance you are able to get to Newmarket then get to Dick White Referrals. Your vet cannot refuse to refer.
I am not meaning to be rude about your vet who may be very good, but even the best general practice vets have limitations in experience, expertise and equipment. I speak from experience - not of these precise symptoms but in general. Dick White saved Toddy’s life twice.
Pug hugs. Keep us posted.
Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!
I agree with the above and I hope you have insurance :) I really do think you need specialist input from a vet hospital.
If you're up north, Chestergates Vet hospital are really good however their neurologist left a couple of years ago. Presumably they have another one now but I don't know because they weren't taking neurology referrals. Worth asking.
Dovecote Vet Hospital in Castle Donnington is great. Their neurologists were put on standby for us last year while we drove over there with my pug and they were fabulous. I'd recommend them. Depends on where you are in the country obviously! Good luck!
Last edited by AmyR; 04-15-2018 at 07:28 AM.
~ Will's mum and servant!
And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)
I am so sorry this happened. I think neurologist as well. But I wonder what is going on in that kennel?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the replies :)
He is just over 1.5 years old.
He is going to the vets for monitoring tomorrow and I think they are referring him for an MRI scan if they don't know what the issue is after their tests.
At the moment we're in Cyprus due to husbands job; we will back in the UK in 2 months, another reason we're panicking because they have to be fit to fly :/
As for what goes on at the kennels...I hate to think. They promised constant supervision and lot of individual attention, as well as taking care of needs (cleaning wrinkles ect). Surprisingly they were recommended, but never again for me! I asked the kennel owner what happened and she has denied everything -_-
Oh crumbs. Kennel cough can take a while to clear up. I don't think you could consider an operation on the leg ligaments until that has cleared up, and then there's the possible neuro issue to consider.
In all honesty I don't think he will be fit to fly in two months. If I were you I would be looking at options to come back by sea and land. Even then it's an arduous journey for a dog that isn't 100%. Presumably you have checked the issues surrounding bringing him into the UK? I believe he will need a current rabies jab and it is a really bad idea to vaccinate a dog that is not in good health, so again the kennel cough could be an issue. You may have to plan for delaying your travel.
Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!
I had a similar experience at a kennel once, when my dog came home with a head tilt & neuro issues. But they had told me that one of the other dogs he was playing with had kind of jumped up and his front feet came down on my dogs neck. He had yipped when it happened, but otherwise he had seemed fine. But when we got home and he was relaxed in his home, that’s when the symptoms started to show. We did eventually end up with a neck surgery. It was a combination of the injury and IVDD that he already had. So at least in our experience, it really was an innocent injury, and they didn’t know the extent of it because he “hid” the injury until he had gotten home. Hopefully yours is a similar instance and nothing bad going on at that kennel. And hopefully your guy can be managed easily. It really does sound like a neuro injury. Glad your getting it checked out. Time is key with addressing these injuries. And since he’s so young, hopefully recovery will be easy & quick.
You have been given good advice. Prayers he gets a proper diagnosis and treatment.
Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.
Fortunately the antibiotics seem to be working for both dogs. They were vaccinated before going in so the vet thinks that they didn't catch it too badly.
I'm looking in to other travel alternatives but haven't found one so far. Will have to work something out after a diagnosis. He will be checked and up to date before travel though.
Just hoping we get some answers tomorrow and it can be fixed and isn't fatal :/
Hi, sorry to hear you've had a similar experience. Can I ask what examinations he had and how they got the diagnosis?
What symptoms did he have and did he make a full recovery?
Yes, I hope he gets diagnosed and recovers. Just panicking at the moment and fearing the worst x