Mites! Help! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Mites! Help!

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

I got so desperate I bought loads of different products that claimed to be effective against demodex mites - they were all a completely total waste of money! You’d be better off buying her lots of toys to distract her! I was almost at the point of thinking that she couldn’t carry on like that any longer - all of her head, face and legs were covered in oozing, crusted sores that needed constant antibiotics to prevent infection and it was still spreading over her. I really was thinking that it would be kinder to put her to sleep. I was so relieved when I found the research paper about Bravecto online that then worked like a miracle cure! Now I feel pretty angry that my poor girl went through several months of suffering because of ignorance on the part of the vet and the extreme hostility I faced from the Vet nurses who believed the research paper to be rubbish and tried to insist on continuing the Aludex bath treatment!

As an aside, I also fell foul of the pet insurance as I’d pointed out the first spot on Xanthe’s head on the 11th day of taking out the policy. They immediately not only refused to pay the cost of treatment but then also slapped on a total exclusion for any skin condition she might subsequently develop!
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by LilyFayre View Post
    I got so desperate I bought loads of different products that claimed to be effective against demodex mites - they were all a completely total waste of money! You’d be better off buying her lots of toys to distract her! I was almost at the point of thinking that she couldn’t carry on like that any longer - all of her head, face and legs were covered in oozing, crusted sores that needed constant antibiotics to prevent infection and it was still spreading over her. I really was thinking that it would be kinder to put her to sleep. I was so relieved when I found the research paper about Bravecto online that then worked like a miracle cure! Now I feel pretty angry that my poor girl went through several months of suffering because of ignorance on the part of the vet and the extreme hostility I faced from the Vet nurses who believed the research paper to be rubbish and tried to insist on continuing the Aludex bath treatment!

As an aside, I also fell foul of the pet insurance as I’d pointed out the first spot on Xanthe’s head on the 11th day of taking out the policy. They immediately not only refused to pay the cost of treatment but then also slapped on a total exclusion for any skin condition she might subsequently develop!
    Insurance..... I was 3 days late for Bruno‘s teeth. He needed to be signed up before 6 month of age. But they did pay for Gordon‘s biopsy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pugcrazylady is offline Village Puppy

Yes I do find the vets sometimes to be condescending that they think everyone is wrong and will let a issue drag out. Lining there pockets. I asked for a prescription to buy the advocate on line and she was unhappy. I have insurance for pearl so this will be going on it but I know full well they will say after 12 months this issue won't be covered as when i took the policy out I didn't know it was time limited. I thought I was buying lifetime cover. But hopefully this will be a one-time thing.
    Ive heard bad things about bravecto. It saying it kills dogs?? There's a fb page about it

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

According to the actual statistics recorded by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (www.gov.uk) Bravecto is currently the safest flea and tick medication on the market. Obviously, like any of these products it should only be given to dogs that have been health checked by a Vet. I’d assume that the internet stories therefore can only be from countries where the product can be purchased without a veterinary prescription and it’s been given to an unhealthy dog.

Demodex is being talked about on the Pug lovers U.K. Facebook group this morning - one lady is saying that hers still had to have Aludex baths for 11 weeks as the Bravecto didn’t work on hers!
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

Pugcrazylady is offline Village Puppy

Oh really? Good god I hope not! It really is a traumatic thing to put them through.
    Fingers crossed for bravecto working for us. I can't use it for another couple weeks because she has advocate on but I am defently going to ask for it.

I think the whole thing seems to of spiralled out of control. Some have used without problems some have and like you say you never know what country they are from.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123