+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Mites! Help!

Pugcrazylady is offline Village Puppy

Default Mites! Help!

Hi everyone.
    Looking for some advice and help.
    My poor 10 month pug cut her head 3 weeks ago, not healing and looking bad I took her the vets. I was given antibiotics and a injection still not looking great I took her back. Get suggested skin scrapes and said she has mites!!
    They gave me aludex, and said advocate her again every 2 weeks even though she has just been done..
    I gave her a bath in this wash which stinks and 2 days later she's scratching which she wasn't doing before and is really sad!
    I'm at a loose end, this patch of skin is at the top of her head and looks so sore. Has anyone ever had this and what was used? Any advice would be really appreciated before I go back to the vets I want to see if anyone has used anything else to try as I don't want to bath her again in this wash.
    Thanks

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default Mites! Help!

Hi there. What type of mites ? I just recently dealt with mites https://www.pugvillage.com/forum/pug-...ites-help.html
    Most of what I did will work for most mites. But mange is a little different. I loved the neem spray. They do have colloidal silver promoting pets skin healing.
    Mites will also transmit to humans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

They didn't say so the treatment they give me, the aludex is to treat demodetic/sarcoptic mites. Then said to wash her and then apply advocate. But the wash is awful stuff.
    I have contacted the vets this morning and waiting for a phone call back as been going on 3 weeks. I don't want to see my poor girl suffer.
    Terrible little devils these mites!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Default Mites! Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Pugcrazylady View Post
    They didn't say so the treatment they give me, the aludex is to treat /sarcoptic mites. Then said to wash her and then apply advocate. But the wash is awful stuff.
    I have contacted the vets this morning and waiting for a phone call back as been going on 3 weeks. I don't want to see my poor girl suffer.
    Terrible little devils these mites!
    Neem is a natural product. I am in the USA we have probably different brands. Also make sure you do not get it. I still got tiny scar marks from my infestation. Colloidal silver will help with both mites and healing.
    Also you need to know exactly which type you have sarcoptic is different from demodectic.

Last edited by GordonBrunoPugMom; 04-20-2018 at 07:21 AM.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

if it's demodex....you cannot get it!

They use interceptor here orally to cure the demodex mites. It is something that many dogs get when they are under stress or going through puberty.........It's a one time thing. Once cured...won't get it again!

Scarcoptic mange is different. You can get that......I don't know anything really about it.

Good luck to you....Seeing it being a little bump in the road....and all being well!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Well this is all started when she had her first season and we separated her from my boys. So it's funny you mention that.

We have nothing on us and my other boys look ok so I'm hoping it is just like you say a short term thing and she will recover quick

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Just ask your vet for a Bravecto tablet. It's a flea and tick medication, but it also happens to fully eradicate all mites very efficiently too.

Sadly not all vets in the UK are up to date on this and still keep trying to promote that disgusting, toxic Aludex bath stuff!

Advocate is supposed to work, but it didn't on my puppy even when it was given fortnightly and then weekly! Meanwhile spending a fortune in the vets and the poor pup continually on antibiotics for the resulting skin infection, I eventually read about Bravecto on the internet myself. Nexgard will also effectively kill mites.

If you ask your vet for a private prescription for either Bravect or Nexgard to use once the Advocate has worn off your dog, you'll find that you can buy it for half the veterinary price online from one of the pet drugs companies.

Demodectic mange quite often occurs as the result of stress as the young dogs immune system isn't fully working yet and the mites (which all humans and dogs have) start multiplying out of control and cause the skin problems. Hope she feels much better soon!
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

Thankyou.
    Someone else mentioned bravecto to me so I will ask the vets as I really don't want to put her through another bath with aludex. I think it takes 28 days for the advocate to wear off and she's just been done so I'm hoping I'm between switching it won't get any worse

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

The Aludex bath that they did at the Vets (they considered it to be too dangerous for home use!) left my Xanthe like she’d been heavily sedated for five days and she had black poos for 10 days too. I can’t believe that they used such an archaic and dangerous product on my puppy!

Btw if it is sarcoptic mange that is highly contagious and can be transferred to humans so I would have thought the Vets would have given strict hygiene rules to follow. If they haven’t given you these instructions then it’s more likely to be demodectic mange that your dog has. As far as I know Bravecto is successful at treating both types of mites though.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

Yes you need to ask what mites they found.
    Neem oil, lavender oil , coconut oil all natural and help .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast