What is normal for the nose roll?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Snifter
  • 1 Post By Lu Ci and Ri Ki
  • 1 Post By SirOliver

Thread: What is normal for the nose roll?

SirOliver is offline New to the Village

Default What is normal for the nose roll?

Hello, new pug mommy here! My husband and I adopted our good boy 2 months ago, after YEARS of dreaming of owning one. He is wonderful and everything we could have ever hoped for!! We know of course that we are supposed to clean his nose roll to keep it dry and free from bacteria. I was just curious as to how much gunk/mucus is normal in a roll (though it obviously will vary from pug to pug).
    He doesn't have a particularly large nose roll, which is great for his breathing, but it is a bit deep. We have been wiping it out with a dry tissue or cotton pad every day, and using a pet-safe, unscented wipe every other day (drying with the tissue or cotton pad afterwards of course!). Over the past week, despite cleaning every day, he has a bit of mucus and/or crusties in there. It isn't inflamed and there are no sores of any sort. We are going to be taking him into the vet this week anyway (he has chronic ear infections), so we will inquire of course; but I figured I'd ask if the gunk in the roll is a normal occurrence, or if it should usually be pretty dry with daily cleanings and this could be the beginnings of an infection. We haven't had a puggie before so we just aren't sure what "normal" is! Thank you so much!

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Toddy never got gunk in his nose roll, but his was shallow.

Snifter's was much deeper. I used the same cleaning regimen as you with Snifter (though very rarely needed to use anything damp). Occasionally some dark brown/black gunk or crustiness would come out on the tissue, but not mucus.

The presence of gunk depends on many things; if the pug shoves his snout into dirt, if he gets food in it, if there's an infection. It is actually possible that you have been cleaning it a bit too assiduously and may have caused a slight irritation. However if he has an ear infection due to yeast it is possible that is affecting his nose roll too. You'll really have to see what the vet says, I think.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Hello and to PugVillage. Glad you have joined us. Snifter has given you good advice.
    GordonBrunoPugMom likes this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

SirOliver is offline New to the Village

Thank you! It could possibly be connected to any yeast in his ears, I didn't even think about that. We of course are planning to consult the vet!
    GordonBrunoPugMom likes this.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

I got 2 pugs both got a good roll but one pugs nose is dirty daily and the other has a clean nose almost always.
    The vet will give you more inside . Glad you are here and can‘t wait for the good boys pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread