My pug diagnosed with pyometra
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: My pug diagnosed with pyometra

Babbagene is offline New to the Village

Default My pug diagnosed with pyometra

Hi my 7 month old pug Olive was diagnosed with Pyometra last week and had to have emergency surgery, the Dr. told me this is the earliest that she has ever seen pyometra in a dog. Thank God the surgery went okay and Olive is doing well still recovering right now her stitches will be removed this Saturday. My question is does anyone know or have any literature on puppies who have pyometra? I am trying to find out if it is hereditary or genetic in some breeds of dogs , I ask this because this is a condition which usually only happens after a dog has had its cycle already! It is important for me to know if this condition can be passed down in Pug puppies or if pugs are susceptible to this condition.thank you for any information you guys can shed on this subject.
    Regards
    Sam

GordonBrunoPugMom is online now Village Royalty

Default My pug diagnosed with pyometra

Sorry I know not much about girl pugs and therefor not am sure about Pyometra.
    I am glad your pug is recovering well . It is scary and I can just imagine the worries.
    Did you talk with your breeder ? He/she would have an idea about if this happened to any of her females .

After answering here I saw the other thread so I add this here :

http://www.shakeapaw.com
    I asked you about your breeder?
    This is a “Puppy Superstore “ as it came up for me on Google.
    In my experience puppy stores get puppies often ( not always ) from mills. Even if they are not from mills no breeder committed to their breed is using pet shops .
    I would not usually recommend buying puppies at a store . It looks like they are also very expensive at that location?

Here are my questions for you :
    Did the store offer warranty for health usually they do up to one year ? Look at contract and ask about it at the store.
    Hopefully it is not phrased as in return one Puppy get a new one ( cheaper that way) .

You love your little girl and best thing I can advice you is find a veterinarian familiar with the breed and perhaps even look into health insurance ( always a good idea with pugs ) .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GordonBrunoPugMom; 09-18-2019 at 05:32 AM.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Bugoneal is offline Village Featherpug

I do hope you are just curious about the youngness of Olive and the disease. I do hope she was spayed during her surgery. Hope she heals fast and is back to her happy self.
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Vizsla Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart pugs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Can’t say that I’ve ever heard of a pyometra happening before a first season, but my Vets were seriously spooked by having had several occur immediately after the first season, so they were only 7 or 8 months old. This was the reason they urged me to have my pug spayed before her first season - think she was about six and a half months when she was done.

Could Olive have had what is called a ‘silent’ season where there is little or no discharge? I had a Newfoundland like that.

Wishing Olive a good and speedy recovery!
    Wonka & Nilla and Bugoneal like this.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

Been so long that I've had a unspayed girl - I just didn't think of that Suzie. Really good catch! Hope Olive is feeling better.....
    LilyFayre likes this.
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Vizsla Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart pugs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug

Hi thank you for your reply . thank God I have pet insurance so the cost was not that bad, although it would not have mattered I love her to death! The store gave a 6 month guarantee on anything considered hereditary , and they will pay the vet bills , that is why it's so important for me to find out if this is genetic in pugs or puppies in general.

Yes she had a full hysterectomy during the surgery! Thank God she is recovering well! The first day I thought I was going to lose her!

She may have had a "silent" but I'm not sure ! I'm just really glad it all worked out , but my heart broke seeing her with intravenous and sick!

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

She might have had an early, silent heat!!! So glad that you caught the pyo as it can be fatal!!!!

It is a fear with any unspayed female. Usually they are older, but it does happen. Don't know that it has anything to do with genetics. It just can happen!!!!

I breed and show my guys. Have a litter of 7 right now.......This is Izzy's second litter. She missed twice between.....and I was nervous. I went for ultrasounds to see if babies were in there and to make sure no infection. She will be spayed in a few months!!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Thinking of Olive today and hoping she is feeling better. Surgery of any kind is no fun and especially when its our fur babies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast