I can't catch a break....now Stalin is peeing blood - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: I can't catch a break....now Stalin is peeing blood

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Poor baby! Sending along lots of hugs as well as lots of positive thoughts & prayers that Stalin will be o.k!

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Oh gosh, this sounds so scary. Poor Stalin! I hope the UTI responds quickly to meds and he starts feeling much better soon. Sending you positive puggie vibes and healing thoughts.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD
    and introducing... Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018

Krystal is offline Village Governor

So I'm watching closely for blood in the urine. It's easy when he's peeing in snow, but when it's on the edge of snow...which really means on cement, or in a grassy patch, it's hard! But there I am, hanging over him, even with a flashlight at night. Neighbors think I'm nuts and Stalin is getting a complex.

I called the internal medicine doctor (the one following his sinus issues) about prednisone and also informed her of the UTI situation. She stressed that male neutered dogs don't generally get UTIs and it's often something more serious like cancer and he should be on 3 weeks of antibiotics and get an ultrasound.

Well he's getting an ultrasound at the regular vet office next Friday (so long to wait when worried sick) but he only got 10 days of antibiotic. And the regular vet office (not regular vet, but same office and she seems good) was much more hopeful about the UTI. She said she does see male dogs quite often with uncomplicated UTIs.

The point of this is just to say.....I'm worried and also getting stressed out at going between the two vets! 10 days does seem standard when I looked it up, not that I'm a vet. But an actual vet did prescribe the 10 days! I suppose I should call and pass along the recommendation from internal medicine?
    http://i.imgur.com/SqiL4bLs.jpg
    SN PTE U-AGII Stalin von Frederic NJP, NAP, CL2, TG1
    UKC Agility High-In-Trial, UKC Nosework High-In-Trial, CGC

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Male dogs do get UTI's!!!!!!!!!
    They get crystals...and can get stones too!!!! It doesn't have to be the big "C"

Seeing a good report!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

PenguinsFan1 is offline Village Puppy

Hello. I hope your Pug will be ok. Several things that might help is keep giving your Pug fresh water in a couple bowls always have fresh water. And Stainless steel bowels are the best also. Keep him/her away from wheat/gluten. Cereals in food. Idk if this is due to blood in the urine but I don’t feed my Pugs any fowl based proteins. Chicken. Duck, or turkey. There is a blood test to see if they are allergic to bird based food.
    Krystal likes this.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

How is Stalin ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HeidiHoog is online now Village Admiral

My first pug, Gus, had blood in his urine due to crystals. It is not uncommon.
    I hope you are able to figure out what is going on with Stalin and is nothing serious.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

Will has had blood in his urine due to struvite crystals. Urinary health food for a while and an ultrasound to rule our stones and he's happy again :) samples are clear now.
    I hope Stalin is ok, will be looking out for an update
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I agree with the others who said that males can certainly get UTI's. It may be less common than in females, but it does happen. If I were in your position, I would call the regular vet and let them know what the internal medicine vet said. See if your regular vet thinks a longer course of antibiotics is needed.

Sending good thoughts and positive vibes for you and Stalin. We all understand how stressful and scary it is when our babies aren't feeling well. Please keep us updated.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD
    and introducing... Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018

Krystal is offline Village Governor

Because he still has urgency and frequent urination, the regular vet advised me to go to a particular ER that has a critical care doctor who can perform and read full abdominal ultrasounds. So we did. Not good news.

There's something in his prostate. It's not in his urethra as they put a cath through it. It did not show on x-ray but did on the US. And, worst of all, during the rectal exam he could feel thickening of the urethra. You can't see the urethra with US, and they x-rayed to check for any stones stuck in there (none). It's text book TCC (bladder cancer) symptoms. You either see a mass in the bladder, or you feel tissue thickening in the urethra during the rectal exam. That with the infection, the "rare WBC and RBC" on his urinalysis when he was still on antibiotics for his nose. It's not looking good. The ER doctor didn't have anything encouraging to say. I asked if that could be caused by the UTI, and he said not likely.

I just feel sick. This constant worry is doing me in. Now he has to take a BRAF urine test to check for a mutation and get in to see internal medicine for another exam under anesthesia with contract and to take samples for the definitive diagnosis. All this constant waiting. And I don't feel like I have any hope. Especially in light of his weight loss over the last few weeks. I feel like there's a big neon sign saying TCC
    http://i.imgur.com/SqiL4bLs.jpg
    SN PTE U-AGII Stalin von Frederic NJP, NAP, CL2, TG1
    UKC Agility High-In-Trial, UKC Nosework High-In-Trial, CGC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast