In desperate need of advice for 6 week old pug.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: In desperate need of advice for 6 week old pug.

VaPug969 is offline New to the Village

DefaultIn desperate need of advice for 6 week old pug.

We recently picked up a 6 week old pug from a breeder a pretty good distance from where we live. For the first couple of days she was kind active but we noticed she was acting sluggish and kinda weak so we decided to take her to the vet to get her checked. The vet said she had Coccidia and a hook worm and gave her some antibiotics to take for it along with a dewormer. It's been almost 3 days since the vet visit and she's still weak, she pooped twice since the visit but now she seems constipated. We've been able to get liquids down her but it seems like shes not getting any better. The vet told us that we caught it early so she should be fine but it seems like shes not getting any better. Should we be getting in contact with the vet again or waiting a little longer to see if everything works out? He told us it could take 24-48 hours to see some change but it's just got us very worried.
    Last edited by VaPug969; 01-26-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Take her back to the vet. Puppies can go down hill so fast.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Admiral

Which state did you get your puppy in?
    6 weeks in my opinion is to young .
    I personally do not pick up my puppies before 12 weeks preferably 15.
    I doubt you can contact the breeder , which should always be your 1st contact .
    You got any health guarantee for your little guy ?
    At this age you can not wait for a vet to open an appointment for you . Puppies can go downhill fast . Some worms are common at this age but hook worms are rough.
    Hookworm are hard on a adult dog but a tiny puppy can not afford to loose much blood or weight and get dehydrated fast.
    Your vet should consider this an emergency and you need to convey this to the receptionist when calling .
    He might have to stay at the clinic for a few days to be monitored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

6 weeks is way too young!

Good advice to take her back to the vet ASAP!!!! Usually recoup from coccidia doesn't take that long. Your baby might be dehydrated....or have something else going on. She's too young to wait and see!!!! Keep her warm as you go to the vet!

Coccidia happens. I am/ was a breeder and I have had it here. It's hard to get rid of it in your yard when other animals like squirrels, bunnies, birds...etc poop in your yard!!!! It is easy to get rid of in our babies!!! I have sent a pup home at 16 that seemed fine....within less than a week had the runs and was throwing up. The new owners took her to the vet and nothing was found. This continued for 3 wks! When coccidia was found (sometimes it's hard to find in stools) She had proper meds etc and was fine! I paid for the meds and a vet visit!

I forgot about the hookworms!!!! She definitely needs to be seen ASAP...no appt...go to ER!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    6 weeks is way too young!

Good advice to take her back to the vet ASAP!!!! Usually recoup from coccidia doesn't take that long. Your baby might be dehydrated....or have something else going on. She's too young to wait and see!!!! Keep her warm as you go to the vet!

Coccidia happens. I am/ was a breeder and I have had it here. It's hard to get rid of it in your yard when other animals like squirrels, bunnies, birds...etc poop in your yard!!!! It is easy to get rid of in our babies!!! I have sent a pup home at 16 that seemed fine....within less than a week had the runs and was throwing up. The new owners took her to the vet and nothing was found. This continued for 3 wks! When coccidia was found (sometimes it's hard to find in stools) She had proper meds etc and was fine! I paid for the meds and a vet visit!

I forgot about the hookworms!!!! She definitely needs to be seen ASAP...no appt...go to ER!
    Got hook worms too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Absolutely take her back to the vet. Hope she gets better soon.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

HeidiHoog is offline Village Admiral

Hope she feels better very soon!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

VaPug969 is offline New to the Village

She passed away this evening, I'm gonna try to contact the seller and see what he has to say. The vetbpretty much blew us off when we asked to bring her back. We got her to replace a 13 year old pug that died 3 weeks and the heartbreak is intense. Thanks for the reply guys I really appreciate all the help even if it was to late.

HeidiHoog is offline Village Admiral

Oh no!! I'm so very very sorry. I'm curious what the breeder has to say. So sad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VaPug969 View Post
    She passed away this evening, I'm gonna try to contact the seller and see what he has to say. The vetbpretty much blew us off when we asked to bring her back. We got her to replace a 13 year old pug that died 3 weeks and the heartbreak is intense. Thanks for the reply guys I really appreciate all the help even if it was to late.
    I am sorry ! Again what state was the puppy sold at ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast