Frank spinal cord injury
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Frank spinal cord injury

Izzie_tat1 is offline Village Puppy

DefaultFrank spinal cord injury

ok so this is a bit of a long story but I will cut it down as much as poss while still explaining what has happened, just looking for a bit of advice /reassurance really from you lovely pug owners.
    My 4 yo black pug who we have had since 9 weeks old, has recently developed a form of ataxia. His hind legs are wobbly, almost totally unresponsive to reflexes i.e paws sit upside down frequently, when pinching foot he doesn’t react but not like he should. His front feet however are just as reactive as ever, jumping in the sky when you try and touch!

He’s been to the local vets which also happens to be a pet hospital several times, with no avail thought it was arthritis in beginning before obvious symptoms were showing. Since mid January however he has been a totally different dog, can’t run anymore, struggling to get around the house, he does just drag them sat on his bum sometimes.
    He has been referred to The Willows in Solihull, Birmingham and had an MRI, which showed visible scar tissue on his spinal cord and a this is causing a blockage of fluid travelling up and down his spinal cord, technically paralysing him as doing so.
    Neurologist said he would operate, sent me home with strong steroids, poor thing now has stomach ulcers as he was previously on metacam, I was advised to stop this, give anti sickness tabs on night 1 and start steroids on night 2 with no further metacam.
    He was being violently sick, which after going to vets and having anti sickness injection seems to have stopped for just over 24 hours now, still pooping everywhere, forgot to mention the spinal cord injury is causing him to be partially incontinent which is not great with consistent diarrhoea, he’s on pain killers for ulcers, double amounts of anti sickness and has been prescribed an antacid medication that I can’t get hold of at the moment.

Absolute nightmare and I’m terrified of what may happen to him, he’s bright and drinking and eating, and hopefully will be able to have the operation soon, although he can’t be on steroids anymore to reduce swelling in scar tissue due to his bad reaction.
    Has anyone had a situation similar to this and can give me some advice on how to make him comfortable, reduce his ulcers etc

Izzie and frank xxxx

6F506E02-44D4-4E68-9A2F-B54CB892844F_1583529019951.jpg This is MRI scan from Friday 27th feb, the milky looking area in his spinal cord is the scar tissue and build up of fluid.
    Last edited by Izzie_tat1; 03-06-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Hi Izzie! I'm so sorry Frank is having such trouble! I'm sorry I don't have any experience with that, but please don't be discouraged--I'm sure others on here will be along who will hopefully have some tips & helpful advice for you! We all know how it is to worry about our furbabies! I could not see your MRI picture--usually on here we have to have our pics hosted at a site like Shutterfly, then copy image address there, come on here & choose the little box up above your post (it is the 3rd little icon from the right--looks like a tiny faint tree with the square.....). A box pops up & you paste image address in there. However, a lot of people on here are using Tapatalk which seems to be easy for people to use--I'm slow to try new things! I hope Frank can be helped--he is so young! Please keep us posted, also--this site is full of caring, & supportive people!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

HeidiHoog is offline Village Admiral

Oh dear! I'm so sorry to read this about Frank! Poor thing! I'm sorry I have no info or advice but wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and Frank. I hope the operation can happen very soon and Frank is feeling better soon!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

DefaultFrank spinal cord injury

I only can tell you my Dachshund was paralyzed with IVDD . He had no bladder control and could not feel his back legs or walk .

We did surgery and he was walking again after a few month running .
    Shannon with her Pug Leila just had surgery a few month back .
    I really suggest to get surgery. If you are in the US you can also pay with care credit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GordonBrunoPugMom; 03-06-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks guys I have been on here previously and I know it’s full of lovely supportive caring people! It’s lovely to hear your pup was running again after a few months of recovery! I long to see the day my lovely frank is running again 😩
    Hopefully we will get surgery booked in for next week, we are insured but used most of that up for MRI. We are able to use pay monthly at most vets here in the UK with a 50% down payment I think. It will all be worth it in the end. I think I’m more concerned about the ulcers as it is making him poorly and I don’t know a lot about the subject really where as iv had multiple consultations with experienced vets over spinal cord.
    I will try and upload mri off shutterfly xxx
    Thanks everyone for support xxx
    puglover22 and Rugbysmom like this.

I think I may need to be on desktop to upload photos x

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Tinker had stomach issues with all the anti-inflammatory meds and had to be on Gaviscon for a time which worked great. It coats their stomach, can you ask for something to do that? Prayers he gets surgery soon and has a good recovery.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Shannon C is offline Village VP

Quote Originally Posted by GordonBrunoPugMom View Post
    I only can tell you my Dachshund was paralyzed with IVDD . He had no bladder control a d could not fell his back legs or walk .

We did surgery and he was walking again after a few month running .
    Shannon with her Pug Leila just had surgery a few month back .
    I really suggest to get surgery. If you are in the US you can also pay with care credit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes Lyla had surgery back in June. It was a fluke thing where one min she was totally fine to the next min she could not even walk. She was in hospital for 3 days trying to get crate rest and it was not improving so we ended up doing the spine surgery. Was the best decision I ever made. Some were suggesting a chiropractor but where I am from I feel not the best choice here. Even my vet said no way. My dr alone won't send me to one. So we went with the surgery after we thought about it as it was very expensive but I would not change it for the world. She is fully recovered back to her old self!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast