• 1 Post By Bustersmom
  • 1 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom
  • 1 Post By Bustersmom
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 1 Post By Bustersmom

Thread: Issues during "lock down"

Bustersmom is offline Village Governor

DefaultIssues during "lock down"

So here is a new question from me: During this very difficult time has anyone’s pug broken their housetraining? Odie is 2 yrs old and never ever has he gone in the house since house trained til last week and he pooped twice upstairs-this after his normal morning walk where he went. We feel we have not altered his schedule at all-we are both retired and have been since we got him but we are home ALL the time now. So I took him to the vet this morning to rule out anything medical(gotta love that curbside service but hate not being able to talk to vet face to face) and of course all good. So we are left with maybe anxiety issues? He is super clingy these days and maybe we have imprinted some of our anxiety onto him? He is an only “child” and all our attentions are on him……even more than ever.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Meanwhile hope everyone in the Village is staying healthy and safe wherever you are.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

DefaultIssues during "lock down"

Yes that is what I would say . Even so there is not change in his schedule things have changed.
    Pugs from what I can tell are so susceptible to any changes and very much withe their owners . More than they will ever know .
    It could also be his last growing up phase ? Just about the 2 years mark Boy Pugs go through some phase before they are considered adult . Some Pugs even fill out some more .
    I noticed this with Bruno but not Gordon .

I am glad you took him to the vet and everything is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SiennasMommy likes this.

As always great thoughts and advice-In talking about the two boys before Odie, we remember some times where this happened but it seemed earlier on but could have been same time frame-I am literally laughing now about the "filling out" so the vet said to me do you want to know what he weights, I said yep-he was up 2 lbs which he sure did not need-told vet glad I was not being weighted today! So any ideas on how to make him feel better without some sort of meds? Thanks again for the response!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

I think there is nothing you need to do but keep him on his schedule . If you like work on some other training like obedience or tricks or anything.
    It’s a rough time for all of us and to much changes .
    I certainly know my Bruno misses his job he is a Therapy dog and I have seen him get excited when I grab something out of the cabinet which also contains his gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! Good thoughts on training and so forth and yes we will keep adhering to the schedule. I can imagine Bruno does miss his "job"! Strange times for all of us, made a tad easier by our fur companions for sure.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I agree, it's likely that Odie is picking up on some of your stress and the fact that "something is different." Pugs can be very sensitive to our emotional state.

Perhaps a bit of training - going back to rewarding/praising him when he potties outside? Just like you did when he was a puppy.
    Village Moderator

Mom to
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD
    and introducing... Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018

Yes that is what I am thinking of course! We think we are handling everything but of course I am sure it is spilling over on him. I am glad I have this forum as I could not share this with my hubby as I did not want him to worry- but the vet asked me yesterday if he peed and pooped and I said nope just poop cause she was thinking a seizure. Gosh I just could not even process that as we lost our first Pug Buster over sudden onset of seizures and it was awful-but he was 14.5 yrs old-Odie is only 2. I just can't go there right now so that being said, will redirect attentions to training and so forth and hope that is what it is-have no reason to believe anything different, but I worry more now than I ever did. Thanks you so much for the response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonka & Nilla View Post
    I agree, it's likely that Odie is picking up on some of your stress and the fact that "something is different." Pugs can be very sensitive to our emotional state.

Perhaps a bit of training - going back to rewarding/praising him when he potties outside? Just like you did when he was a puppy.

+ Reply to Thread