Apoquel or Cytopoint? Allergies and itching!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Apoquel or Cytopoint? Allergies and itching!

  1. #1
    W+D
    W+D is offline Village Mayor
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    124

    DefaultApoquel or Cytopoint? Allergies and itching!

    Hi I just wondered if anyone can recommend any allergy / itching reflief?

    My Winston is itching constantly. He had an allergy test and is allergic most things except a certain type of mite (the test didn't test for food allergies so unsure about that).

    He has been on Apoquel for a long time but I have stopped that to see if it helps with his sickness and he had a Cytopoint injection last Friday but it hasn't seemed to help much :/

    I give him Primrose oil and fish oil once a day, bath him with allermyl and oatmeal shampoo every 2 weeks and I wash his paws and wrinkles etc daily.

    Both dogs itch a lot especially around the face and ears. Any suggestions would be good :)

  2. #2
    Wonka & Nilla's Avatar
    Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    31,370

    Default

    Sorry to read that Winston is struggling so much with allergies. You said you didn't test for food allergies... what type of food are you feeding? Sometimes dogs have issues with certain proteins so if you are currently feeding, for example, chicken, you might try switching to a different protein source, like fish.
    I hope you find a solution to help him and he starts getting some relief soon.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Village Moderator


    Mom to
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD
    and introducing... Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018

  3. #3
    W+D
    W+D is offline Village Mayor
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    124

    Default

    The blood test doesn't show food allergies but I did try him on a special kibble for allergies. The problem is that he won't eat plain biscuits so it was hard to stick to for months, thought I think I may have to try again! Thanks :)

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    LilyFayre's Avatar
    LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    8,184

    Default

    It's a bit hit and miss with allergies without a very expensive full blood screen, but as Amy pointed out certain foods are more likely than others to cause issues. Probably top of the list is chicken, closely followed curiously enough by peas! If you are going to try an at home food exclusion program it takes at least six weeks to clear the dog's system (same as in humans) before you can decide whether or not excluding a specific protein has made a difference. So possibly the easiest thing to do is to try and source some type of food that you know he hasn't had that type of meat before. I only feed my pugs a good quality wetfood (they've never had kibble here) so that would be my preference in your position.

    As for your question about cytopoint, I've only ever heard good things about it here in the UK since vets seem to be going off the idea of Apoquel now because of potential side effects. The allergies thing seems to be far worse in French bulldogs than pugs so it could be worth having a check around some of the Frenchie Facebook groups to get some more ideas of how to help your puggy with this

    Good luck - and let us know!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

  6. #5
    W+D
    W+D is offline Village Mayor
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    124

    Default

    I had the bronze blood screening done and he was positive for allergies in every panel except mites :/

    I will try changing him to another source of protein and see if it works :)

    What wet food do you use? I use Encore or fresh meat with veg to mix with their kibble. Draco has to have kibble as he's on a urinary diet for bladder stones. I would like to home cook for them but unsure of the measurements and how to make sure all the correct nutrients they need are in there.

    I never knew Apoquel had so many side effects until recently. I am taking both of mine off it and on to Cytopoint.

    Thanks for the advise! :)

  7. #6
    ayleash's Avatar
    ayleash is offline Village Funk, Spunk, and Chunkiness Specialist
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    13,274

    Default

    My Decker (min pin) has had his first spring ever with itchies that responded to (a) shampoo, but came back, (b) a pill pairing, but came back, then we entered lockdown and it came back again, so we re-paired the pills, and I felt it was starting to come back, and we had a vet annual anyway, so she shot him with cytopoint.. that was yesterday... I let him be without his cone overnight, and he did not go for the groin where his rash has been manifesting... I have not noticed any side effects... of course it's not even 24 hours since the jab and other indignities of an annual appointment (while I waited in the car in my mask).
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and W+D like this.

    Ayleash ... Sponsor of the Pugs: Captain and Niko, and Pack leader of: Tigger (2005-2016), and ...My SECOND rescue Terrier... a girl for Tigger... Ohna... and now... DECKER!! (The Dog Formerly Known As (TDFKA) Batman!)

    See some pics of my life recently (including the hounds, of course) at:https://picasaweb.google.com/1045433...eat=directlink and http://picasaweb.google.com/engntnc

  8. #7
    LilyFayre's Avatar
    LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    8,184

    Default

    My Cocker spaniel has had urinary issues and was on Royal Canin Urinary SO for quite some time - longer than I was really comfortable with since there are side effects to feeding this product long term too. When the vet didn't find any stones on an ultrasound after she was still getting urinary infections I changed her over to Burns Alert adding a high dosage cranberry tablet and a D-Mannose caplet with her evening dinner. We've learnt to live with her slight incontinence and she just wears her doggie pants at night to handle the leakage and touch wood hasn't had another urinary infection for about a year now.

    Neither of the pugs have ever had any urinary health issues or allergies and have only been fed on Nature diet or Forthglade since 9 weeks old. For the past couple of years they've just had Forthglade as the Nature diet became more difficult and expensive to obtain. I tend to mainly buy the Forthglade turkey and tripe complete food one.

    There are specialist recipes that try to recreate all the correct levels of everything that you can try for home cooking, but it can be quite an involved process. Personally I'd rather trust the laboratory testing of commercially prepared foods unless I really had to provide a very specialist diet for them.

    Hope you can get them sorted out ok!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and W+D like this.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

  9. #8
    PenguinsFan1's Avatar
    PenguinsFan1 is offline Village Puppy
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Johnstown, PA
    Posts
    87

    DefaultApoquel or Cytopoint? Allergies and itching!

    Quote Originally Posted by W+D View Post
    Hi I just wondered if anyone can recommend any allergy / itching reflief?

    My Winston is itching constantly. He had an allergy test and is allergic most things except a certain type of mite (the test didn't test for food allergies so unsure about that).

    He has been on Apoquel for a long time but I have stopped that to see if it helps with his sickness and he had a Cytopoint injection last Friday but it hasn't seemed to help much :/

    I give him Primrose oil and fish oil once a day, bath him with allermyl and oatmeal shampoo every 2 weeks and I wash his paws and wrinkles etc daily.

    Both dogs itch a lot especially around the face and ears. Any suggestions would be good :)
    Hello, My Sophie has been on Apoquel for years she use to chew her paws a lot now she will just lick them once and a while her vet has her in a half tablet every few days as a maintenance. We haven’t had any problems with it. You can also try a half tablet of Benadryl. Like very 12 hours. If not using anything else. BOL


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PenguinsFan1; 05-25-2020 at 06:51 PM.
    W+D likes this.

  10. #9
    W+D
    W+D is offline Village Mayor
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ayleash View Post
    My Decker (min pin) has had his first spring ever with itchies that responded to (a) shampoo, but came back, (b) a pill pairing, but came back, then we entered lockdown and it came back again, so we re-paired the pills, and I felt it was starting to come back, and we had a vet annual anyway, so she shot him with cytopoint.. that was yesterday... I let him be without his cone overnight, and he did not go for the groin where his rash has been manifesting... I have not noticed any side effects... of course it's not even 24 hours since the jab and other indignities of an annual appointment (while I waited in the car in my mask).
    Hi ayleash, has the Cytopoint helped? Both of my boys have now had it but they're still itching. I'm going to try and alter their diet to see if it's food related.

    LilyFayre, what are the side effects of being on the urinary food long term? I spoke to my vet and she wants me to keep him on it forever to prevent stones coming back.I shall look in to the cranberry pills, thanks :)

  11. #10
    LilyFayre's Avatar
    LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    8,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by W+D View Post
    Hi ayleash, has the Cytopoint helped? Both of my boys have now had it but they're still itching. I'm going to try and alter their diet to see if it's food related.

    LilyFayre, what are the side effects of being on the urinary food long term? I spoke to my vet and she wants me to keep him on it forever to prevent stones coming back.I shall look in to the cranberry pills, thanks :)
    Hi

    With regard to Royal Canin Urinary SO my vet was concerned about long term use in case Bree developed kidney issues and frequently warned me to remain vigilant for possible symptoms eg excessive drinking, urination, vomiting, weight loss, loss of appetite etc. What I do know for certain is Royal Canin clearly state that the product is NOT to be given to dogs with Chronic Kidney Disease. The vet also reminded me that you can’t give any urinary acidifying products at the same time eg PlaqueOff.

    You will notice however as soon as you start feeding this product that your dog will begin to drink and urinate more frequently, but it is designed to do that.

    To be honest I was quite relieved to change her over onto the Burns Alert products and she seems to be doing well on that now
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts