weight control / natural weight across the pug breed spectrum
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LilyFayre
  • 1 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom

Thread: weight control / natural weight across the pug breed spectrum

kev2 is offline New to the Village

Defaultweight control / natural weight across the pug breed spectrum

Hi Just wondering if any pug owners out there can advise on daily amounts in grams that they feed their pugs. We have a black neutered male pug 2.5 years who seems large for the breed I think he is just over 24 pounds. When I compare him to some other male pugs he looks chunky but quite muscular. When you look at his paws they are big also in comparrison to other pugs. We feed him the recommended daily allowance of food and he gets lots of walks Im just wondering if he is just naturally big as his grandad was a large pug that my wife saw when she picked ours up as a puppy. Just wondering if there is anything i can do or certain foods that can help with a little weight loss.

Thanks

W+D
    W+D is offline Village Mayor

Hi, both of my boys are overweight so I took them to the vet and she advised feeding the 33 grams 3 times a day, this allows for a few tid bits for training and a dental stick at night. Both of mine look a lot bigger than other pugs I see; Winston is quite muscular and Draco is long bodied. I find dieting hard as mine both live for food!

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Hi

There isn't any standard weight for pugs since they all vary greatly in size and as far as food quantity goes, that is totally dependent on the particular brand that you are feeding. For example mine only have a good quality wetfood so my male pug has 133gm twice per day - a much heavier weight than if you were feeding kibble. He weighs just over 8 kilos.

Your best guide is when you look down on your pug from above you should be able to see where his waist line tapers in, and when you view him from the side he should have a neat, tucked up stomach.

If you're already giving him a good quality food, you don't need to change it, just keep his weight down by feeding him less of it and cut out high calorie treats replacing them with small pieces of raw vegetables or fruit. Just in case you aren't aware grapes, raisins, sultanas etc are all potentially toxic to dogs, so none of those. That and regular exercise will greatly benefit his long term health.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

kev2 is offline New to the Village

Hi Thanks I may look at this approach.

GordonBrunoPugMom is online now Village Royalty

Defaultweight control / natural weight across the pug breed spectrum

I got my Gordon and he weighs 24 lbs which is his ideal weight . I prefer not go go above .
    My Bruno weighs anywhere from 18 to 19 lbs he keeps going up and down with activity level .
    Both of my Pugs are ideal weight they are just very different in build . I actually love my Gordons build he is muscular and solid .

You can replace some food for green beans .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

+ Reply to Thread