• 1 Post By Rugbysmom
  • 4 Post By Tuck and Ag's Mom
  • 5 Post By tall grass pugs
  • 2 Post By AmyR
  • 4 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom
  • 2 Post By SiennasMommy
  • 3 Post By shaynapug
  • 2 Post By Wonka & Nilla

Thread: Please help! Heat stroke and seizure?

peach is offline New to the Village

Default Please help! Heat stroke and seizure?

Hi, yesterday my pug had a seizure for the first time, I am assuming from heat stroke. It was 29°C here (UK) and he's just not used to heat (I am normally so careful, I really love this dog). We didn't realise he was ill at first, he was in the shower being washed by my other half who shouted me in. I had never seen a seizure and it looked as though he had slipped and didn't want to put his feet on the ground. I assumed a broken leg from slipping in the shower, called the vets in a panic and described all of his behaviour.

I would say the seizure lasted longer than 5 minutes, or he had 2 seizures in that time without recovering fully in between. I drove him to the vets with the car as cool as I could get it because he was panting.

A practice manager and, I think, nurse saw him, I'm not sure because I couldn't go in due to social distancing. They couldn't find anything wrong (he was back to normal by then) they didn't charge me and I went home.

Since he obviously didn't have a broken leg, I searched online and ended up watching videos of pugs having seizures, and immediately recognised that's what he had been doing. I'm now surprised the people at the vets didn't recognise this as it is apparently very common. I called back and said I think it was a seizure now I've seen a video, and was told just to video it if it happens again and don't take him there. The nearest appointment they could give me was 8 days later. They never mentioned heat stroke, even though it seems obvious to me. It was the hottest day of the year.

Today I started reading about seizures and it made sense that the hot weather caused it (he's 6 years old and had been in the garden with my other half while I was at a hospital appointment). I'm shocked to read that dogs can have seizures and heat stroke, seemingly recover and then die a few days later from organ damage.

Can I take him to the vets and beg for tests to be done? The vets seemed so laid back about it, I've had difficulty finding a good vet round here (our family lost a dog due to complications that were in her vet's notes that we were never informed of... I really don't know why) and finally found one with great recommendations only for him to retire and be taken over.

I am really panicking right now to be honest from what I've read online about dogs dying from heat stroke later on, and feel sick that I trusted that the vets did the right thing by him yesterday. It's the middle of the night here now. Do I just ring any and every vet in the morning until someone can do blood tests or something? Everything I've read says he should have been admitted there and given IV fluids and tests.

Has anyone had a pug with heat stroke?

Hope this makes sense, I'm extremely tired.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Hi & welcome! I hope your Pug will be o.k! I don't think you need to panic--just keep an eye on him....maybe call a different vet in the morning & ask about a 2nd opinion.....when you took him to the vet's, did they take his temp? Maybe they did & it didn't indicate heat stroke? When he was outside did he act at all stressed, or hot & panting? I do know that if a pet gets heatstroke they need immediate vet attention & they can't be cooled down too suddenly....I hope somebody will chime in who has more experience with this than I do! Is he acting all right now?
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Tuck and Ag's Mom is offline Village Royalty

Our dachshund Aggie got heat stroke from chasing a squirrel around and around a tree in the pasture by the time we got up to her she just collapsed, the kids thought she was dead. We got her to a hose and just let the water flow over her, after about 10 minutes she was ready to get up. We called the vet and they said we did the right thing but monitor her fluid intake and if she goes downhill come right in. She was fine.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy
    Forever in my heart Aggie, Tucker and Frank

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

I would not hesitate to find a new vet tomorrow. Take him out in the cool of the morning, and in the cool of the evening. Research cooling pads, and floor fans. Please let us know how he is doing, we are always here for you.

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

Goodness that must have been scary for you! I hope you find a new vet that you're happy with.

I'm in the UK as you can see and do you know what, the weather is that hot at the moment, my boys haven't been going out for walks unless it's really really early. It was still 25 ish degrees at 10pm last night! :( So I know what you mean.
    I hope he's ok :) and let's hope for cooler weather very soon!
    shaynapug and Lu Ci and Ri Ki like this.
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default Please help! Heat stroke and seizure?

Google is your worst enemy. And we all do it .
    I use this community for questions about anything. I always get great answers here and everyone understands exactly where I am coming from.

As for the seizure at this point you can not really tell the cause . It could have been the heat but it could have been something else or even not being a seizure .

The vet was right to tell you to take a video .

Covid is messing everything up and our pets suffer . As I understand it, the UK has strikt rules . In the US it all depends on the state or even individual vet clinic .

As for choosing a vet . I see it like any other business.
    You are the customer and it is your money. I refuse to go to a business where I do not get 100% customer service.
    For vet clinics it starts with the reception area . I refuse to go to a vet regularly where the staff does not remember me or my pets names .

We moved last year and I did a lot of research for a new vet clinic. I looked at their websites first .
    I sorted by medical equipment and procedures performed there . Location and cost was not much of consideration . I got insurance .
    From there I looked at their websites and social media pages but avoid Yelp etc.. I tried to find more out about the team and Dr.s.
    I prefer a Dr. who also owns a small breed (Pug would be ideal) .
    Next I check the availability for appointments .

Where I live we have no Emergency clinic . I had to find a clinic which also has a flexible business schedule.
    The local veterinarians used to have a rotating „on call emergency service“ (I lived here 8 years prior) but now refuse to do so . That had turned me off and some clinics here are very outdated . Many places offer low prices and cut corners to save on cost in other areas . Unfortunately in KY are many people who have a different view of mine for owning a dog .

I drive 1 hour to the city and so far I am happy with the clinic I had chosen . Except for there is COVID 19 and our DR has very limited appointments on weekends , she has to take care of her kids (childcare is closed) . Her and her husband take turns so she can at least be some days in the clinic . Yes my vet is open evenings and weekends during the Pandemic even Sundays . I do like the other Dr.s at the clinic too but just love Dr. Vincent best.

Hopefully your Pug had an isolated incident and no more episodes . It must have been so scary and I am glad you were not alone dealing with it .
    I say yes find a vet who listen to your concerns and will do a recheck or at least give you the comfort of being able to come in immediately if it happens again .
    Our vet does 2 comprehensive visits a year with blood work ,urinalysis etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by GordonBrunoPugMom; 06-26-2020 at 07:02 AM.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Prayers he will be okay.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

Any vet that blows you off or doesn't take the issue seriously, you need another vet.

I hope your baby will be okay. What is his name?

Heat stroke scares me, too. I would get a cool mat for your pug. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...ooling-gel-mat I have one for Sienna's stroller and several around the house.
    Sienna Foo Ming Geeting
    May 30, 2006 ~ January 11, 2021
    You will always always always be number one in my heart.
    I love you baby girl.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Seizures can happen for many reasons! Had a friend here with a Border Terrier the other night....and fireworks were heard in my neighborhood. They make her dog nervous...and can cause her seizures...so my friend held her and worried. She rode home with her in the front seat rather than in a crate in the back with the others.

Your vet went with what you said for the original diagnosis....and you were blessed that they didnt' charge you. When you called back with your thoughts, they did give you the correct info as all you can do is watch.....keep a journal if it happens again (what was going on in last 24 hrs....what they do while in seizure...how long til they come out of it...and how long til they act normally again) and take a video if you can.

Blood tests need to be done within the first 24 hrs....however...many times they show nothing. Since your baby is acting fine....I would let it be. Should it ever happen again, I would run tests.

The dog was cooled down.....and is doing well..... I would follow the vet's advice.

Many times, this never happens again. Hopefully, that's the case with your baby!

If it's hot outside...they can go out to potty and be brought in......
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Lots of good advice above. Sometimes a dog will have one seizure and it never happens again and sometimes they become recurrent. I know it's very scary to see and just "waiting and watching" is hard when we want to do something about it. But it sounds like your vet gave appropriate advice and the best thing to do is keep a good watch on your boy and if it happens again see if you or your other half can video so that you can show the vet. I know it sounds awful to video instead of comforting your dog, but since it usually happens quick, a video will give your vet a lot of helpful info.
    I hope it was a one-time event and that there are no lasting health issues for your pug.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

+ Reply to Thread