Tell me about your CCL/ACL tear experience (Stalin has bilateral, likely partial, tears)
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 2 Post By shaynapug
  • 1 Post By Rugbysmom
  • 1 Post By Krystal
  • 2 Post By Tinker's mom

Thread: Tell me about your CCL/ACL tear experience (Stalin has bilateral, likely partial, tears)

Krystal is offline Village Governor

Default Tell me about your CCL/ACL tear experience (Stalin has bilateral, likely partial, tears)

As the title says, I'm looking to hear your experience. Stalin is under the care of an orthopedic surgeon, but it's always nice to hear first hand experiences anyway!

Stalin came up lame on a walk a couple of weeks ago. I've never seen him have pain like that, he could put no weight on his right hind leg, and he'd lay down and hold it up with it shaking. Went to the ER, diagnosed as CCL (ACL) tear, given gabapentin and carprofen, and set up with a surgeon consult for 10 days later.

Saw the surgeon on Thursday. He actually has bilateral tears, and his left is actually worse and has some muscle atrophy! However, as of Thursday, she could not recommend surgery. If he was 2 yes, but he's 12. And while he's active, she just can't recommend it because he's putting weight on it and not showing pain. She would do surgery if I pushed for it. He weighs 20.7 lbs, which is under the magical 30 lb limit I hear. But I also hear "you must do surgery for any good results!". I trust the surgeon, she's highly recommended, but I can't help but second guess everything I'm doing.

Since I'm concerned, she is having him in for x-rays in a couple of weeks to check for arthritic changes. If there are changes at this stage, she would then recommend surgery. I had a dental consult and am considering having a dental done during the x-rays (which would otherwise not require sedation) because he is due, but that's a different subject.

He's on rest, but unless I'm at work (mostly remote, but go in 2 days weekly) he's not crated because that seemed to be making it worse. He'd cry (and I'd cry) and when being let out of his crate, all his years of crate training for agility went out the window and he'd come flying out like a wild beast! He has periods of wildness, but mostly snuggles with me since moving the sleeper sofa mattress to the floor. Yes, I work remote from the floor lol. Not comfy for me, but comfy for him! The couch would otherwise require stairs or a ramp, and she wants neither right now to be happening. I carry him out to potty, and we only walk around the yard (you know a pug doesn't just potty *anywhere*, it takes a bit)

Along with this, he's been dealing with a biceps muscle injury for the last month or so. She was able to diagnose it (regular vet couldn't), but it is not surgical, just requires rest.

Sometimes I feel like he's walking funny. Not holding his leg up, but funny. It could be his shoulder, or it could be me watching him under a microscope. He's always had, what my neighbor calls, a manly swagger lol.

Sorry for the long wall of text here! I best go pay attention to him because he's eyeing up a toy, and he gets WILD with toys.
    http://i.imgur.com/SqiL4bLs.jpg
    SN PTE U-AGII Stalin von Frederic NJP, NAP, CL2, TG1
    UKC Agility High-In-Trial, UKC Nosework High-In-Trial, CGC

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I'm so sorry to hear that Stalin is struggling with all these injuries right now. Poor guy.
    A friend of mine who has a 10 year old Pomeranian had surgery for ACL tear earlier this year and then she had two months of physical therapy (cold laser therapy at first, then underwater treadmill later) and is doing very well now. I wonder if you could consult with a doggie P.T. to see if there is something they could do to assist with the muscle atrophy, etc.? Obviously it would need to be done very cautiously and carefully since you don't want to add more stress to the torn areas! But a good physical therapist might have suggestions for how to help him heal and recover faster. At the very least, the cold laser therapy might help assist with the healing. Some vets offer this now, too.
    Sending best wishes to Stalin for speedy healing.
    shaynapug and Lu Ci and Ri Ki like this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

shaynapug is online now True Village Royalty

I agree with Amy!!!!

My doggy/human chiro has deep tissue....and my vet has cold laser. Both with aid with inflammation and aid in healing!!!! Pt would be good too!

Does he need a dental??? If not, I'd wait til he's feeling stronger! Don't want to stress the body too much!

Seeing a good healing!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

I have no experience or advice but I will be praying for right decisions to be made and for healing for Stalin. Please keep us updated on how he is coming along.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

I'm sending along lots of positive thoughts & prayers for you & for Stalin! Please keep us posted on how he is doing!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Krystal is offline Village Governor

The surgeon did touch on PT and laser, I think we'll discuss it more after seeing what the follow-up x-rays show. He could use some PT for his biceps as well. He had laser therapy a few years back for his shoulder (maybe the same biceps issue?) and it worked great. I'm afraid water treadmill might freak him out, he HATES water.

He's showing some signs of dental pain, and was supposed to get a dental last year. But then he had that seizure, then his PLR (sinus) flared up, and now this. if he does need surgery, it's between the extracapsular and TPLO, and she prefers the mouth to be cleaned up before doing implants, but it's not set in stone. I'm leaning towards seeing what the x-rays show and then go from there. I'm getting a little overwhelmed I think!
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.
    http://i.imgur.com/SqiL4bLs.jpg
    SN PTE U-AGII Stalin von Frederic NJP, NAP, CL2, TG1
    UKC Agility High-In-Trial, UKC Nosework High-In-Trial, CGC

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Wow! That's a tremendous amount to deal with. Prayers you get a good working plan soon and he gets more comfortable. Tinker had both hind knees done a year apart years ago and even though we have done Adequan injections every month since then she now has arthritis in those joints plus her front joints. We are using Gabopentin and Deracoxib. I also have a mobile vet who comes and does acupuncture. The combo seems to be working at present. She suggested for later perhaps an Accessi ring, I had to research that and am still on the fence about it.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

+ Reply to Thread