Soft palate and nares surgery recovery
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Soft palate and nares surgery recovery

doug1120 is offline Village Puppy

Hey pug owners,

I’ve been googling for weeks as I listen to Ellie struggle to breathe and have discovered multiple topics that are several years old. I just wanted to post to see if there are still any active members with advice. My seven year old, Frankie, had this surgery done in January with incredible results. He used to wake up multiple times throughout the night and raise his head and pant heavily. Ellie is five and hasn’t really struggled to breathe like Frankie. She was having frequent UTIs and my vet recommended a vulvoplasty. Since she was already going to be under, I figured this surgery would be a good idea to help her out for the rest of her life. It’s been five weeks and her breathing sounds worse than before surgery. She originally wasn’t given prednisone due to her vulvoplasty and when I talked to the vet about her challenges a couple weeks ago, she said she wanted to start the prednisone since she was done healing from the vulvoplasty. She’s got a few days left with no improvement. Her next step will be to drop her off in the morning to observe and potentially sedate at the end of the day to look inside her mouth. I’ve seen a timeline of six to eight weeks for a full recovery but Frankie was night and day difference the day I picked him up. Have any of you had to wait a long time to see results?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by doug1120; 05-03-2021 at 01:59 PM.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default Soft palate and nares surgery recovery

I have no advice. I know some members here have done the surgery and will chime in. I like to say I hope your little one will heal fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by GordonBrunoPugMom; 05-03-2021 at 09:52 PM.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

None of my pugs have been through this surgery, so I don't have first-hand advice. But I do recall seeing here on PugVillage where some pugs have swelling that takes a long time to resolve. I hope that's all it is, but it seems like the prednisone would have made a difference by now if it was due to swelling. I hope someone with more experience will post and give advice.

Wishing Ellie a speedy recovery and better breathing soon.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

We had that done to Heidi because we got her at age 4 & we had to have her spayed & since she was so snuffly & had such tiny nostrils, we had it all done at once. Poor girl, that was a lot to put her through & she looked miserable for a few days. I do remember that I thought it didn't do any good because she stayed snuffly for quite a long time after, & I felt bad about putting her through all that. Months later (I don't remember how many, could have been up to 5) I realized that her breathing was so much better! The change had been so slow & gradual, I didn't really notice it until I was thinking about it one day & realized that she wasn't all snuffly anymore! If you feel like your girl's breathing is getting worse though, I would get her back in to be rechecked.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

I don’t think her breathing is getting worse but just that it’s worse than before her surgery. I’m holding onto hope that things will improve on their own over the next few months.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

It might take longer since the pred wasn't given right away.

Did she bark while healing???? That can cause problems too.

Seeing a good healing...and your girl breathing easily!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    It might take longer since the pred wasn't given right away.

Did she bark while healing???? That can cause problems too.

Seeing a good healing...and your girl breathing easily!
    She’s a very active TV watcher. She even recognizes the transition music on every show to a commercial and barks throughout the ads. Her personal favorite is Liberty Mutual. They put her on Trazodone twice a day to try and calm her down but that’s been a challenge.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

My air pods work with my TV . I have had a TV watching dog who actually was watching even without sound . I say you need to have her not bark it‘s imperative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by doug1120 View Post
    She’s a very active TV watcher. She even recognizes the transition music on every show to a commercial and barks throughout the ads. Her personal favorite is Liberty Mutual. They put her on Trazodone twice a day to try and calm her down but that’s been a challenge.
    My guys are too, but barking is a no no after that surgery for at least 2 wks if not longer!!!!! It can cause a lot of swelling and possible scar tissue. When I have a situation where they need to remain quiet, I either crate in the bedroom...or don't watch TV.

If it continues, I'd take her in to be scoped again...might need a little more work due to the barking!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast